RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 pm 
Single-Sixer

Bought a used Hogue Monogrip for the 9mm SP101 and when it came in, the hole for the grip locator pin was much smaller than the pin that came on my gun. I'm planning on making a pin out of some aluminum rod or something and was wondering if anyone knew the correct diameter of the thinner grip pin? I've already emailed Hogue and IIRC Ruger, but haven't heard from them. I figure since there will be downward pressure on the pin, there may be no real need for a thicker sleeve to fill the void in the grip tenon...don't know.

Thanks in advance!

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:45 pm 
Blackhawk

Why not enlarge the hole in the grip to match your pin??

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:59 am 
Buckeye

I’d probably call Hogue and see if they can provide a stirrup that will work with your gun.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:43 am 
Ruger Guru

yes, modify the grips, not the gun.....most Hogues use the stirrup set up, with a screw in and up from the bottom............

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:50 pm 
Hawkeye

I've called Hogue before and they were kind enough to send me a stirrup. Good company.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:56 pm 
Single-Sixer

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll call Hogue, and if that doesn't work, modify the "stirrup."

A good week to all!

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 pm 
Ruger Guru

the hole in the stirrup does NOT have to "match" the pin size, they seldom ever do,,,,it will "draw down" when you tighten the bottom screw in the grip......... it helps with "two piece" grips that the locating pin is the size for BOTH the hole in the grip panel and the pin through the frame, so as to NOT allow the grip panel to shift back or forward......

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 pm 
Single-Sixer

Follow-up post...

A BIG THANKS to those who told me to contact Hogue! I had already sent them an email when I posted here, and they eventually answered, but in the meantime, I called, spoke to someone and they mailed me a free pin which I received in four days. The rep who answered didn't fully understand what I was explaining, and requested a photo via email, but once she received that, she replied saying they'd mail me the correct part.

For reference, the Hogue Monogrip "stirrup" pin, called "grip locator pin" by Ruger, for Ruger SP101 with the "thick" middle/body and narrow ends is Hogue Part ID: ST-BH500-PIN. As mentioned by rugerguy above, even though the ends of the Hogue pin are turned down much thinner than the main body of the pin, the ends are a bit undersized for the holes in the Hogue "stirrup." Regardless, once installed, the grips are snug and don't move.

A BIG thanks to you guys and to Hogue for sending me a pin free of charge and extremely fast. They'll continue to be my grip of choice for revolvers!

Hope everyone is staying safe and a good week to all!