WooHoo!! SBHHunter on the way!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hunter966

Single-Sixer
I got a call from Lipsey's this morning, they just got in a few of the Super Blackhawk Hunters in 45 Colt and I've got one headed my way.

Should be here in a couple of days. Can't wait and best of all it'll be tuned up for deer season early.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Hope you enjoy it. I bought one of the first batch back in 2003.
I put a Weaver scope on it and tightened to what I thought was tight. First shot with a Ruger Only load quickly disengaged the scope, but I caught it. Now I tighten a lot more. :oops:

Dana

32shooter

Blackhawk
Nice guns, the SB Hunters are. Only deer I have shot with revolver was an 8 pointer quite a number of years ago with a .41mag. Mine is going to the gun show Saturday morning as it just doesn't get used anymore.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
For full thread contact in nut, the crossbolt on the Ruger rings should be 3/16" longer. In the mean time, I paint the threads with fingernail polish and put a 10-32 inside lock washer under the nut.
David Bradshaw

hunter966

Single-Sixer
Well I received the SBH Hunter yesterday and there's not too much bad to say about it. The only thing is the normal issue of the grips falling short of being a perfect fit.

Mr. Bradshaw, I couldn't get a picture in my head of the 10/32 inside lock washers but after seeing the rings, I get it now and I'll swipe some of wifey's finger nail polish.

I was wondering if anyone has the torque specs for the nuts and ring screws. All I could find last night was 30" lbs. for the nuts and 20" lbs. for the ring screws.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
hunter966.... I tighten by hand, don't know of any torque specs.

Set Ruger Rings on SBH Hunter
1) Clean threads. Chase nut threads if more than finger pressure is needed to run them. To chose threads in the ring nut, I use a carbon steel 10-32 fine thread cap screw, oiled.
2) Put rings loosely on barrel dovetails. Push ring forward and finger tighten----not tight.
3) Put scope in rings. Adjust eye relief to suit you. Once scope is where you want it, paint inner ring halves with fingernail polish.
4) Install top half of ring, level scope, and tighten.
5) Tighten ring base to barrel dovetail.

To avoid cramping scope, I first tighten rings on scope. Second, tighten base to barrel.

10-32 inside lock washer
I use stainless steel inside lock washers. Teeth inside washer. A 10-32 lock washer with teeth outside is too wide to fit countersink in Ruger ring.
David Bradshaw

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I just picked up my super blackhawk hunter 41 yesterday, this revolver was really hard to find. I think I bought the last one available, does anyone know how many of these were made in 41, or how I could find out. Can't wait to get to the range to get the scope dialed in.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Both the bisley and plowhandle version in 41 magnum were available as a Davidson's exclusive for the last few years but not always in stock. Both models were discontinued earlier this year but are always subject to be reordered if Davidson's see fit. I don't see that happened anytime soon. I would guess several hundred have been produced over the years. They are not offered for sale used too often.

Lipsey's has recently reordered 200-300 of their exclusive 45 colt Bisley Hunter and after a month or 2 they still have over a hundred in stock. That is how slow sales are right now. A few years ago that number of guns would have been gone in a week.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info JCW, mine is the plow handle, I did see a bisley, but he wanted too much for it, I'm glad I got this one, I like the bigger grip on the SBH, very much, I just ordered a pair of buckeye burl grips from Bearpaw grips for it, I think they'll really set it off. This gun is amazing, sighted in with less than a box of ammo at fifty yards, can't wait for the deer firearms season, just a couple weeks away.

Latest posts