OM FT 357 question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tom black

Blackhawk
My older cousin has a very nice, all original short barrel OM FT 357 serial number 11XXX he's wanting to sell. I'm seriously considering buying it. The front sight is very low an I'm wondering if loaded with 158 grain bullets it won't shoot a mile high. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm betting I will have to load it with 140, possibly even 125 grain bullets to get it to hit with the sights. Many thanks.
Tom Black

contender

Ruger Guru
If the price is right,, BUY IT!
And a bargaining chip may be the "altered" front sight. A replacement bbl can be had for around $50-$75. Then,, getting a gunsmith to replace it,, unless you can do it,, can be figured into the price.

And of course,, condition is also a factor.

tom black

Blackhawk
Ty the gun is unaltered. The front sight is just low. I have a 4 digit SBH, all original, and it has a low front sight.
Tom

contender

Ruger Guru
Interesting.
If the price is right,, buy it and then shoot it to see what happens with your 158's. You may be surprised!

Yessir ,good info above simply buy it, and try it, never know , ours shoots right on with 38s and low with 357 mags,,,,,duh (fast and have yet to reach max, trajectory) put the target out further or shoot closer,,,,whatever works,,,,then there is good old Kentucky windage.....we do not even adjust the sights, center it all and let the shooting begin 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The early TYPE 1 357 FTs have a grooved front sight base that is taller than later models, hence the front sight blade is lower to compensate. The 11,XXX # seems a little late for the tall bases. But you never know with Rugers, it wouldn't be the only anomaly we've seen documented. You might check that out and let us know what you find.