44 Super Redhawk and some History

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44RED

Bearcat
I have always liked the time to shoot my shotguns but over the years I have had to adjust to kids activities and family etc... During those times I have always had my Rugers.... :) I wind up being able to squeeze in a little hunting and paper punching when I can't do anything else....

That brings me to my current thought pattern.. I have the opportunity to shoot a few pigs and varmints and I want to do that with a 44 Magnum. I don't have one so I am thinking the Super Redhawk would give me the weight, both iron sight and scope option, and good ole brute tough Ruger to handle anything I would want to shoot through it.

I will also have grip options as well.

Just wanted to get some opinions and thoughts before I buy one.

I plan to shoot factory or equivalent loads and carry weight is not a problem...

Most times a UTV or Truck can carry the revolver.

It's good to be back on this Forum reading and learning as well... Fine group of folks here.

Thank you
44RED

contender

Ruger Guru
Before the invention of the Super Redhawk,, I bought a Redhawk just for hunting. I got a stainless 44 mag,, with rings, to allow me to scope it. This was back in the 1980's. I already owned a few Super Blackhawks,, but wanted the scope option.
I reload,, FOR ACCURACY,, so I found a comfortable load that was super accurate. I still have a target in my mounds of stuff with a single hole in the center of a target,, shot from 50 yds,, off a rest,, that measures just under 1/2" for the 6 rounds fired. The entire hole diameter measured .992.
Couldn't go wrong with it at all.

The Super Redhawk came along as a result of a FEW barrels separating from the frame. Mine was actually the very first one. The barrel flew off while shooting one day. Ruger replaced it of course,, but it took a few years to discover the cause. By then,, they had designed the Super Redhawk. The cause was the culmination of a "perfect storm" of things that led to the problem. NOT a defect or flaw,, but in the lubricant used when the barrel is screwed to the frame,, being left alone for days, allowed to dry & that changed the properties of the lube. They lubed barrels several at a time,, in a rack,, and assembled them after lubing. A FEW barrels were left for a few weeks during a shut down. Caused the problem.

The Super is a sweet gun,, and I now own a Ruger in 480. Balance is good, and with a scope,, all you'll ever need to hunt or plink with.

44RED

Bearcat
Thank you.... That is the kind of knowledge I need to know.

I have dies, some bullets etc for 44 so I am letting that influence my decision.

I have a few targets in a binder I shot with my old model 357 and Security Six... It's nice to see the work of loading be worth it... :)

98Redline

Blackhawk
A SuperRedhawk is a great gun and while not quite as aesthetically pleasing as a standard Redhawk it does benefit from a better action with a separate main and trigger return spring.

That said, another gun worthy of consideration is a Super Blackhawk Hunter or more specifically a Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter.

I have one of each of the guns mentioned above and my SBHBH is the one gun that I seem to end up in the woods with every year.
Yes it is a single action but I can't ever remember taking a shot in the field, even with my double actions where I didn't first cock the hammer.

Hard to go wrong with the Super Redhawk in 44. I have the Alaskan in 44 plus a customized SRH 44 cut to 5 inches. Easy to go back and forth from scope/red dot to iron sights. I think the recoil is easier with the Super over the regular Redhawk.

The Super Blackhawk mentioned is also nice.

44RED

Bearcat
Good thoughts... I do love the Bisley grip. My favorite 22 is an early 22 Ruger Bisley. I will look at the Hunters... But I just can't quit thinking a Super Red is what I want to try...

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
You probably know this, but pig hunting is usually done at night using night vision or preferably thermal scopes. Also, most shots are over 50 yds, and shot placement is critical. I've shot pigs with a .44 magnum but from a carbine.

44RED

Bearcat
I agree, and the guys I know who really get after them hunt just as you described. I have had numerous chances to shoot pigs in the day at 50 yards and under. I got one last year with a 9mm. I am just going to use the 44 for those situations.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
44RED.... ".44 Magnum.... grip options.... weight is not a problem."

Sounds like you've answered your own question. The Super Redhawk is the one double action sixgun ready for unlimited shooting of full house loads, and providing for a ready swap from iron to optic sighting.
David Bradshaw