Custom gunsmithing the 100 series double action revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
Now that Ruger has made available a five-shot 100 series revolver in 44 Special, I feel comfortable asking whether a custom gunsmith has developed a five-shot 100 series chambered for 45 Colt, the revolver being safe to handle ammunition, including handloads, that is safe for use in six-shot S&W 25/625 "N" frame?

NikA

Buckeye
I doubt it. The new .44 GPs have very thin metal in the forcing cone area, I don't think it would support taking another .025 out without seriously compromising strength or messing with the barrel threads in the frame.

NikA said:
I doubt it. The new .44 GPs have very thin metal in the forcing cone area, I don't think it would support taking another .025 out without seriously compromising strength or messing with the barrel threads in the frame.

That makes zero sense IMHO. I do not own a New GP to be honest I never knew there
was a "New GP". Fact is to the best of my knowledge Ruger hand guns are built like
tanks. A little back up on your part will be appreciated! ps

Thel

Blackhawk
Several measurements figure into this. One is the frame width and another is the cylinder diameter. The GP frame width is 0.835" and the cylinder diameter 1.557". Taurus, on their Tracker .45, has a frame width of 0.77" so it would seem that is not a problem. One would need a new barrel with a thicker shank and the frame would be need to be drilled out accordingly. The Taurus 445 has a cylinder diameter of 1.531". So, this may be doable IF the gunsmith fabricates a new barrel with thicker shank to assure a sufficient thickness on the forcing cone.

NikA

Buckeye
The raw frame/cylinder measurements indicate that it is just as possible as it was before the .44 GPs came out. The measurements on the forcing cone area of the .44 GP indicate that it is at least as impractical as it has ever been.

Most smiths aren't going to be interested in boring and rethreading a frame. All sort of alignment and strength considerations there. Lots of setup for an operation that has a fair chance of destroying the gun.

If we're talking the standard approach, which is cutting the barrel threads to fit the frame and reboring or manufacturing a new cylinder, a .45 GP is dimensionally a non-starter.