Redhawk value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moey

Bearcat
Found a guy with 4 1984 Redhawks, NIB, never fired. two 41's and two 357's. Wants 1200 each.

hittman

Staff member
In my area and with the people I know in the hobby, he is way high.

But.....there's still way too little info known.

Shippers?
Barrel lengths?
41's are blued or stainless?
Hunter models or plain barrel?

Moey

Bearcat
All SS, 1 5.5, 1 7.5 in 41's. Didn't ask on the 357's but they have consecutive serial numbers too.

hittman

Staff member
You hear a lot of talk about the 357's being a unicorn or holy grail or ultra rare but .... they're making them again :( and I never see anybody really pony up with big $$ to invest in them.

Double action Rugers just aren't collectible enough (yet??) to demand any kind of premium for consecutive serial numbers.

The 41's would be more attractive to me if they were blued. I bought a NIB stainless 5.5 inch 41 mag about 10 years ago for $600.00. I suspect it'd still bring that but hasn't increased any in value.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Moey said:
Found a guy with 4 1984 Redhawks, NIB, never fired. two 41's and two 357's. Wants 1200 each.

Off of GB, I bought a 1984 vintage RH, 7.5" tube, 357, not new in box but with box, original papers and in excellent condition - had a turn line but that was the only finish wear - with extremely tight lock-up (like a bank vault) and absolutely zero end-shake. That was 2 years ago. Price was $800.

Last year, a buddy of mine bought the same model and vintage RH for $900 off of another auction site. Condition was slightly less than mine. It had a small bit of end-shake (but within specs) and needed a new mainspring.

All just FYI...

I'm with hittman. I think he's pretty high. Also as he said there's a lot unknown. At least in my area the shorter barreled guns seem more desirable. The 7.5" tends not to be that desireable. But I think that is also a regional thing. Easterners tend to like longer barrels, at least that's the way it used to be. I recently sold a 7.5" 44 mag in excellent condtion, with box and paperwork, beautiful gun, probably ran into the only guy in the show that wanted it and he would only go $725.

6GUNSONLY said:
I recently paid $700 for a mint 5.5" blued .44 Redhawk, if that's any help. Personally, I've never seen the appeal of a Redhawk in .357 - seems to me it makes an excessively heavy gun, overbuilt for the chambering. But to each his own...

You won't know until you try one. I have both 5.5 and 7.5 inchers---old style 6 round cylinders. You can shoot the most stout loads you care to build, and they still feel like you are shooting a 22. I really can't explain it, but while they are certainly not a holster/field gun, they really are lots of fun. :D

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I've had Redhawks, including one 'mistake gun' which I should have never let go of, but live n learn.

All I can add is that for $1200 cash money in one's pocket, one has plenty of choices out there...!

Frankly none of them would be worth $1200 to me. There's a 5-1/2" very clean Redhawk 357 mag on a local classifieds. Just came on at $699. I'd put a value of what you are looking at, at $600 - $700 each in excellent condition. And that is provided they are exactly what you want. The seller is either ignorant of how soft the market is currently or thinks you are. Either way I'd pass, after I let him know how disappointed in him I was for trying to screw me!!!

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Twenty two years ago I paid $395 for my SS RH in 44 Mag used. Three years later my used SS SRH followed me home for the same price.

I would have a hard time forking over 1200 for any version of RH even as great as they are.

Three44s

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I bet he'd take $2,300 for both if you made him an offer! Just kidding. I think he's way over priced.