44 Mag Original Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I bought a 44Mag Original Vaquero today. It is 5.5 inch Blued/CC. The gun is unfired. The CC had light surface rust but no pitting. I cleaned with CLP and copper wool. The CC is a brown color where the light rust was. Not complaining though, I picked it up for $350 private sale. It was exactly what I was looking for. I intend to send it to Bobby Tyler when the funds become available to have it properly CC'd. I knew the original owner for the better part of 35 years and when he bought a gun he bought them because he liked them, he didn't care about shooting them at all. That will change now, let the fun begin!! It came with a 4 boxes of Remington 200gr 44 Special, and a belt and holster. I will pick it up first of the week when I go to town on Monday.

Joe

Good score! I paid $400 for a used one in 2004, with the faux ivory grips. It shot well (accurate). It also came with a cowboy rig. Sold it a couple years later ($450) to buy an RedHawk 4.2 inch barrel SS($650).
gramps

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I'm trying to figure out the picture thing, I'll post pics of before and after when Bobby starts accepting new work.
Thanks, Joe

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I've got an old Vaquero, 4 5/8", .45 Colt. No rusting, but some fading. The blue still very much intact. And with darkened, aged walnut grips (with medallion, no less). And somehow, I just cant seem to want to change anything on that gun!

Bob Wright

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I also have a one in .44 mag with the short barrel in stainless. It was a gift from Mrs Ruffbird in 2001
It has been fired once & been my fondle gun for the last 18 yrs & beyond... :D

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
New model Vaquero with Bobby Tyler work (.357):
gn.jpg

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I can see why, that is beautiful!

Joe

Bob Wright said:
I've got an old Vaquero, 4 5/8", .45 Colt. No rusting, but some fading. The blue still very much intact. And with darkened, aged walnut grips (with medallion, no less). And somehow, I just cant seem to want to change anything on that gun!

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
Hondo44 said:
One of the few Rugers I have a pair of:

orig.jpg

Please educate us as to who did those.

These are just two factory produced 44s. They did a lot better with the faux CCH early on. These still have the alloy ER Housings.

All I did was slick up the actions and add the Sambar Stag grips. They're about 40 #s apart as I recall.

z1r

Single-Sixer
LGS has a very nice 44 Mag Vaquero 7.5" bbl that just came in. Blued with nice CCH.