Ever Seen or Heard of One?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
A GP100 Stainless in Target Grey?

A buddy of mine has had one since 2005 bought it brand new but it is the only one I have ever seen like that. A call to Ruger from him yielded no results. They said they are not sure how many was made but did say very little.

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Ok I performed a better search here and found a little info. Looks like Ruger produced about 1000 of these.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep.
KGP-141TG. Special Distributor model by Lipsey's. Serial number range; 174-82086 - 174-84447. At least 1017 produced.

Re; RENE Reference Guide

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
If my rememberer is working today (always suspect) it was not a applied finish.
It was a process of taking stainless parts and tumbling then in some kind of media resulting in a matte finish.

As such I believe they showed marks and wear very easily much like a bead or vapor blast finish.

Not real popular at the time I seem to remember them getting "surplused out" at CDNN.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
- I may be blessed, but my Ruger rifles and handguns with the Terhune Grey finish have been very durable. But then I haven't scratched a gun in 36 years...
Since they are all-stainless, and the finish makes them even more corrosion-resistant, far beyond bare SS or blued, I'd say it is certainly not a detractor, especially in a high-humidity locale.

Ruger reqularly sell lots of all types to CDNN and others. "Distributor Specials is what they call 'em. :wink:

Joe S.

Hunter
I passed one over in a pawn shop years ago. went back later after figuring out what it was and it was gone. regretted it ever since.

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
DSC01770.jpg

This is definitely a coating.

quote KGP-141TG. Special Distributor model by Lipsey's. Serial number range; 174-82086 - 174-84447. At least 1017 produced.

Yes the box had this product number on it KGP-141TG, but the serial number is not in this range unless he got the very first one. 174-82084 :) this was purchased brand new.

contender

Ruger Guru
Interesting!
The RENE said the REPORTED serial number range was the ones I posted. Apparently,, this one is 2 numbers lower.
Chad can use this data to update the Guide! (I just made the note in my Guide!)
Thanks!

hittman

Staff member
Think I have a GPNY in that hideous finish. Maybe the 4-inch with bobbed hammer, I think.

hittman

Staff member
I checked and the GPNY in target gray or "matte" finish is the 3-inch.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I had some experience with the target gray finish wearing? off. I've avoided it since.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
any ruger said:
If the target grey is a bead blast how could it wear off. Wouldn't it just get shiney?

The guns I had experience with appeared to have some sort of coating over the bead blast.