Response back from Ruger on LCRx 327 FM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In response from Ruger on my query regarding an LCRx3" in 327 I got this response. So I guess if you were holding your breath, I'd say, you need to start breathing now.

We currently do not build the 3" LCR 3" as I know you are aware.

Sales in the .327 caliber have been spotty. Not sure if there will be a 3" version or not.

Do you get asked for this often? The 357 fills the larger caliber in this category. What do you think sale would be? I do see the versatility with the different caliber options in the 327.

Enigma

Hunter
Keep asking. Ruger didn't make (and had no intention of ever making) the .44 Special at one time, either. Or a Bisley Blackhawk in .480 or .454.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I agree with Ruger. The .357 fills the need. I've said it before, but if Ruger responded to such a request, you'd have twenty guys here saying I'd buy one "if only" they'd make it in polished stainless, or some other variation. I think Ruger reads the market quite well.

s4s4u

Hunter
I was surprised when he said that sales are spotty on this caliber.

Doesn't surprise me. It is competing with long standing 38 and 357 for a relatively small market share. I have yet to feel a need for a 327 anything.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
-Ruger's response:
"Sales in the .327 caliber have been spotty. Not sure if there will be a 3" version or not." :roll:

Correction - Ruger's PRODUCTION of guns in 327FM has been spotty. They've sold every one they built, and quickly.

It's their marketing dept. that somehow believes every new caliber is going to completely replace existing calibers. Fools.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have a 4" SP101 in 327 , good gun and quite accurate. If you don't get a LCR in 327 try the SP101 in 327

I watched the 327 for some time, every since it's introduction. There was a short window of time to obtain one that was "capable" and that was when they brought it out in the Blackhawk.

It is not only my opinion, but my experience, that there are few benefits from this cartridge over the 32 H&R Magnum in the small short cylinder revolvers made to accept it. This limited ability for the cartridge to perform is only compounded by the 2 to 4 inch barrels made for it.

When the introduced the GP-100 I jumped all over it, and for one reason. It was capable of using heavy bullets and magnum powders that make this caliber all it SHOULD BE. With all the Bullets available for use in this caliber, they simply are not constructed to work in anything hotter than a 32 mag anyways. Then in a 2 or 3 inch barrel with the short cylinders, they are all that are able to get any advantage in velocity over the 32 "maggie" when limited to these small revolvers.

They may be great for a novelty piece, but for true use as personal protection, even the 38 special has more capability, and with proper SD loads would display no more recoil than the higher pressure loads of the 32 with lighter and less effective bullets, not to mention the horenous bark and light show from such a small barrel in these little revolvers. I believe Ruger realizes there is a very small market for those not aware of these facts.

It has been my experience with this cartridge, that it needs a longer cylinder to accept heavier than commercially available bullets to make this little small bore a worthwhile upgrade over the 32 maggie, then to get that heavier bullet to reach its potential and obtain the velocity it is capable of, we need only the slowest powders and bullets seated to the full length the cylinder is capable of to get enough of these powders in the case behind them with at least a 6 inch barrel to give the performance it should be designed to give.

If short cylinders, and barrels with pocketable framed revolvers are what is being used, it will not have much in the way of improvement over the 32 mag, but will make one hell of a lot of noise, put on one hell of a light show, and protect them looking for SD, much less than if that same revolver was fed a lowly but proven 38 spcl. with the proper loads.

The 327 also has few choices for factory loads, not necessarily Rugers fault, as well as, in my opinion, not really any bullets commercially available for it. There just ain't enough capacity for powders that can drive the light bullets available to their Highest velocity, it is like using faster powders we use in other cartridges for reduced power loads, to get the most from these tiny bullets the reloader has to choose from.

Just my opinion but I think there are a lot better choices in the small frame revolvers, and would put the 327 in my view as one of the least effective in that platform for anything but novelty.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
wildcatter said:
I watched the 327 for some time, every since it's introduction. There was a short window of time to obtain one that was "capable" and that was when they brought it out in the Blackhawk.

It is not only my opinion, but my experience, that there are few benefits from this cartridge over the 32 H&R Magnum in the small short cylinder revolvers made to accept it. This limited ability for the cartridge to perform is only compounded by the 2 to 4 inch barrels made for it.

When the introduced the GP-100 I jumped all over it, and for one reason. It was capable of using heavy bullets and magnum powders that make this caliber all it SHOULD BE. With all the Bullets available for use in this caliber, they simply are not constructed to work in anything hotter than a 32 mag anyways. Then in a 2 or 3 inch barrel with the short cylinders, they are all that are able to get any advantage in velocity over the 32 "maggie" when limited to these small revolvers.

They may be great for a novelty piece, but for true use as personal protection, even the 38 special has more capability, and with proper SD loads would display no more recoil than the higher pressure loads of the 32 with lighter and less effective bullets, not to mention the horenous bark and light show from such a small barrel in these little revolvers. I believe Ruger realizes there is a very small market for those not aware of these facts.

It has been my experience with this cartridge, that it needs a longer cylinder to accept heavier than commercially available bullets to make this little small bore a worthwhile upgrade over the 32 maggie, then to get that heavier bullet to reach its potential and obtain the velocity it is capable of, we need only the slowest powders and bullets seated to the full length the cylinder is capable of to get enough of these powders in the case behind them with at least a 6 inch barrel to give the performance it should be designed to give.

If short cylinders, and barrels with pocketable framed revolvers are what is being used, it will not have much in the way of improvement over the 32 mag, but will make one hell of a lot of noise, put on one hell of a light show, and protect them looking for SD, much less than if that same revolver was fed a lowly but proven 38 spcl. with the proper loads.

The 327 also has few choices for factory loads, not necessarily Rugers fault, as well as, in my opinion, not really any bullets commercially available for it. There just ain't enough capacity for powders that can drive the light bullets available to their Highest velocity, it is like using faster powders we use in other cartridges for reduced power loads, to get the most from these tiny bullets the reloader has to choose from.

Just my opinion but I think there are a lot better choices in the small frame revolvers, and would put the 327 in my view as one of the least effective in that platform for anything but novelty.

Yup ,,,,exactly all that !!!!
Don't take me as a 327 hater , In fact 327 (and 32 mag) are probably my biggest variety and most shot guns.
But,,,,327 NEEDS at least a 4 1/2" barrel to be anything more than a 32mag with a light show.
In fact I would go a step further and suggest that when the 32 mag was launched it was the focus on self defense pocket guns that almost killed it. No manufacturer made a handgun beyond a snub and it compared poorly to the 38/357. Almost stillborn till the Ruger single six came along and handloaders got to work. 327 was an evolution due to the low pressure mandates of the lower quality of some (H&R) guns still lurking around . Reloading manuals are still handicapped by this and need to start having a 32 mag "Ruger only " section like the 45 colt. Does not mean the 32 mag was not very capable in a strong gun. 327 just raised the pressure limits up to true magnum standards , something strong 32 mag revolvers were always capable of.

But then again , I am not a big fan of 357 mags in small snubs either . Much prefer 38+P there also.
ALL impressive 327 velocity numbers are made with long barrels and fall to 32 mag achievable numbers in a snub.

5of7

Hunter
I do not own a 327, but I have a feeling, looking at the dimensions of it, that is is similar to the .30 Carbine. Now it that is the case, shooting it in a gun with a 3" barrel would exhibit a ball of fire at the muzzle that would cause flash blindness even on a bright sunny day.

Gee, does that mean this one I got from my nephew Tim , will NOT "perform" with such a short barrel????

F7DzH4Jm.jpg

I was wondering about that, so I guess I 'll swap it off for something useful, like a 38 or even a 22.........darn 8) :roll:

Won't know till he gives me some ammo....... :wink:

recumbent

Buckeye
rugerguy said:
Gee, does that mean this one I got from my nephew Tim , will NOT "perform" with such a short barrel????

F7DzH4Jm.jpg

I was wondering about that, so I guess I 'll swap it off for something useful, like a 38 or even a 22.........darn 8) :roll:

Mine performs just fine and you can't see any muzzle flash in the daytime.
I really enjoy shooting my reloads in it.

rugerguy said:

F7DzH4Jm.jpg

Should do just fine, I would expect it to do anything a 32 mag would, just don't expect the performance of a 38 +P or the guns with full length cylinders in 327 are capable of,,, :wink:

I just ran across, an LCR in 327FM recently, and since that's the only caliber I don't have in the line, I went for it. I have no idea at this point if I'll even shoot it, but I can display it for the Ruger gun show in January.

MZ5

Bearcat
I bought my 3" SP101 in 327 Federal because there wasn't an SP101 in 32 H&R Magnum. That said, by having an SP in 327 Fed, I _have_ an SP in 32 H&R. :)

I generally carry my SP with the 'reduced recoil' Federal 327 ammo, mostly because that's what's generally available here in quality, gel-tested ammo. That ammo is still running faster over the chrono than 32 H&R ammo does. I can shoot my 32-cal SP faster and better than I can shoot a 38-cal SP, plus I have an additional cartridge in the cylinder. I challenge anyone here to produce statistically significant data which suggests a 38 Spl is 'better' than the 32-cal SP for defensive purposes.

I have been looking at an LCR in 32-cal recently. I chose the SP over the LCR when I got it, and while I don't regret the decision, the LCR is of interest. I'm saving my pennies and selling some other things now.

The 32-cals are amazingly versatile, and I hope that the industry continues to support them and expands their support.