Confusion with a Speed Six Serial Number: 1K97515

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at picking up a Speed Six in .38 special and the seller says the serial number is 1K97515. I tried looking it up and no dice. All Speed Six serial numbers are numeric. I asked him to send me pic of the serial number and it's true.....1K97515 from the bottom of the grip frame.

Can anyone explain this to me and possibly tell me what going on?

Thank you....

contender

Ruger Guru
Never heard of one like that.

POSSIBLY,, if it is a Ruger,, it was a firearm with a history,, and the ATF assigned it a new serial number.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
I've only seen pics, and you're probably right. The individual is ALSO selling a K-38 so he probably sent me a pic of the Smith serial number. I didn't know Smith's had the serial number located on the bottom of the grip frame. Anyhow, I'll see it in person on Tuesday. From looking at pics of the turn line it doesn't appear to have been fired much. He asked $300 and I offered $250.

hittman

Staff member
It's probably a pre-production sample or prototype worth thousands.

:roll:

hittman

Staff member
Please post a picture of the entire gun.

Ruger charges $10 for a letter, Smith charges $100.

I'm still skeptical, would need to hold the gun in my hot little hands to ensure he hasn't sent you the wrong s/n picture.

lvtwentytwo

Single-Sixer
Yeah, looking at the grips from the bottom up, it's so close. I'll know on Tuesday when I see it. Weird serial number none the less.

hittman

Staff member
Ask if he has any K frame Smith's from about 1971.

Be funny if he sent you a pic of that with s/n like 159-xxxxx.

The serial number pic is definitely of a S&W, the seller just has the pictures mixed up. The shape and positioning of the numerals on the butt is typical of S&Ws.

I'd say, based on the picture of the Ruger, it's easily worth $300.

Look at the cruddy condition of the bottom of the Smith's grip frame and grip, compared to the side view of the Ruger, it's pretty apparent that they're not the same gun.