New Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Weak as I am, I couldn't resist. I already have a stainless Service Six and I bought a blued Security Six 4" a few months ago. Walk into my local shop and there was a 2.75" blued Speed Six. $400 out the door. I figured I just wanted a Speed Six to complete the set. My gun buys are done for 2019. 4th one in 6 months. I have sold a couple to offset the others but time to reign it in. But I am happy I got the Speed Six. Reminds me of a S&W Model 19 snub.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos on a fine score.

But,, trying to limit myself to just a few purchases,, well,, that causes a flare up of my disease,, "Rugeritis!"
No cure,,, and I'll whup up on anybody who tries to cure me!

hittman

Staff member
Wow what a good buy!

Your Speed Six will eat a steady diet of 357 if you so choose; and the side plate screws won't work loose. :lol:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I'll put some pics up this weekend. The gun is in excellent shape. Hardly a mark on it. I did order some Pachmayr gripper grips for it. The factory wood that came on them look nice but I never shot well with them, grip adapter or not. The Pach's turn guns into laser beams for me.

z1r

Single-Sixer
Nice, congrats on your find.

My SS Security Six is my favorite double action revolver. The right combination of size (or lack of), power, and accuracy!

Personally I like these instead of the grippers. They feel good and follow the lines of the Speed Six real well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RSS-C-M-PACHMAYR-Compact-Rubber-Gun-Grips-for-RUGER-Speed-Six-38-357/202770374896?hash=item2f360e60f0:g:Oj0AAOSwjQVdYYnf

protoolman

Service-Sixer
No pachmayers needed. Get the rubber Ruger medallion (siles ?) That were factory Ruger grips on late model Speed Sixes.

z1r

Single-Sixer
kbm6893 said:
I'll put some pics up this weekend. The gun is in excellent shape. Hardly a mark on it. I did order some Pachmayr gripper grips for it. The factory wood that came on them look nice but I never shot well with them, grip adapter or not. The Pach's turn guns into laser beams for me.

And I prefer the Hogue monogrip. Same for the S&W N frame. Only gun I couldn't use Hogues on was the Redhawk. Oddly, the factory wood grips are the most comfortable for me.

Luckily, we have choices.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I gotta get some pics up. The gun has almost no
Wear. It's like a S&W 6 shot K frame or a slightly larger 6 shot sp101. I got the Pachmayr gripper grips in. They fit fine and feel great, but the gun looks so much better with factory wood. I'll lewve them on and bring the Pachmayr grips to the range. Try shooting with both. I predict much better accuracy with the Pachmayr grips. They always gave me the best groups of any other grips.

woodsltc

Bearcat
I find the pach's on my Spd-6 a bunch more comfortable than the wood grips and my accuracy is better too.....but that's just me, everyone has their own preferences.

silverback

Blackhawk
I am with you. woodsltc......

In my opinion, Even the old siles were not as good as the pachmyar grippers.

I have tried just about everyone's grips and the gripper always comes out on top. They are not much to look at but they seriously do the job. They make CCW at bit difficult.

Find a good set of compact or even the old wood oem grips for deep CCW.

But for long session of pain free range time then put on the gripper. You won't be sorry you did.

wagsfn

Bearcat
Looks like I've FINALLY landed a Speed Six myself. Should of done this years ago. Blue, 98% or better, box, accessories and ammo. Seller said 3", but could also be a 2 3/4" from pictures shown? I'm not going to push issue since the price was right and this has been a very painless & smooth transaction. Plus I'd be happy with either barrel length. I'll know more tomorrow after picking it up. Any advantage of either barrel length? Just curious since this is a keeper, not a quick turn around piece. Thx!

Sugar River

Buckeye
AFAIK, the only Speeds made with a 3" barrel were the USPS inspectors contract in the late '80s.
They were all bead blasted stainless.

wagsfn

Bearcat
Turned out to be a 2 3/4"....... going to throw it in the lake!

After looking and looking for a few years I finally located locally an excellent condition blued Ruger Speed Six 357 magnum with 2 3/4" barrel and original box! Date of manufacture is 1980. It's very tight and no holster wear. Guessing it spent most of it's life in it's box. Completely field stripped and looked just as good inside than out! Was hoping for a shooter, but think this may go back into the safe. I'll have to think about it since I have a SP-101 & GP-100 Wiley Clapp to keep me occupied.

4dpBjPtl.jpg

a3aexAql.jpg

cWVI1X9l.jpg