Midframe XR3 Pachmayrs?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
Question regarding mid frame Pachmayrs for the New Vaquero and flattop XR3 frames? A friend is inquiring as he has a knuckle busting issue on heavy loads with his 357 flattop, and I hypothetically would have the same question for my .44 and .357 NVs though not an issue to date with my low to midling loads. We had heard from "everybody" Pachmayr only had grips for the large frame Vaqueros/Blackhawks/SBHs until we saw in "another forum" a poster citing good results with Pachmayrs on his 357 FT, with corroborating photo. The Pachmayr website does not address the issue at all (next step...call), so what say you guys? Did Pachmayr once make grips for the xr3 frame but no longer, or what? LGS has no idea.The above anecdote was a 2010 post.

contender

Ruger Guru
At one time,, long ago,, I'd say it is possible that they made grips for the original XR3 grip frames. So,, if they did, you'd have to do a lot of serious hunting to find a set.

And,, you mentioned the mid-framed,, Flattop guns,,,,,,,,,AND "heavy" loads. Ruger & most of us doesn't suggest using heavy loads in the mid framed guns. Of course,, the term "heavy" can be different to each of us. I look at "heavy" as being the top tier full sized frame Ruger-T/C loads only.

gak

Buckeye
Roger, thanks for the reply. No, just "normal" off the shelf warmer loads, nothing along the lines of "Ruger-only" loads (if in .45 Colt parlance). And, unlike its .45 and to a lesser degree ,44 Sp stablemates, should be well within especially the, 357 midframe's capabilities. But the ergonomics of gripframe/grip to triggerguard, or specific grip in combo with the shooter's hand/grip may not be compatible. Ironically, as many have stated in related discussions, going to a differently shaped, larger (but still regular plowhandle) grip can sometimes make a positive difference to the knuckles. Next step..

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
If you can get an NOS set your are way better off. The new ones fit horribly, and are softer rubber. The quality has gone way down from my recent experience.

Latest posts