Used GP Prices Through the Roof!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
About 8 years ago, maybe right here on this forum, there was a link to an outfit selling used GP100's. All 4" and stainless. Price was $299. Mine came with factory case even numbered to the gun. Original Lett grips.

I stupidly sold it. I have two Six guns, a Service and a Security. Got that both for under $400 within the last couple of years. The Security I got like 3 months ago.

But a look on gunbroker is just crazy. Used GP's starting at $500. Throw in shipping and ffl and you're paying close to $600 for a used gun when new ones aren't much more. I know prices have gone up, but it used to be the GP was the cheaper alternative to the S&W 686. Not such a difference anymore.

hittman

Staff member
Well ..... MSRP on new ones are from $770 to $900. The 90's are a distant memory. :lol:

And at least around here used revolvers of any kind are darn few and far between.

Supply, demand, inflation.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Well ..... MSRP on new ones are from $770 to $900. The 90's are a distant memory. :lol:

And at least around here used revolvers of any kind are darn few and far between.

Supply, demand, inflation.

MSRP is a dream and always was.retail is always much less New GP's used to be high 500 to very low $600. And I'm not talking the 90's.

I get that prices change but $600 for a used GP is insane.

jimd441

Blackhawk
At today's prices, I still consider the GP100 to be a great bargain.

Jim

DD_USMC

Bearcat
I was looking to get the stainless Wiley Clapp, but a preowned blue popped up locally. Original grips were swapped for Hogue fancy hardwood Rosewood, but has box, manual, and fired case. Second owner said it had 2 boxes of .38's and 1 box of magnums through it.

Ordered a couple of speed loaders, factory Ruger compact grips with wood inserts (will sell the Hogue Rosewood), and a Bianchi Cyclone holster.

Did a complete disassembly, soaked it in my solvent tank, gave it a good scrubbing (it was pretty clean to start with), and polished up all the trigger action components. Got a Wolff trigger spring kit on the way so I will replace the trigger and hammer springs with a 10/10.

No holster wear or blemishes and very slight cylinder rotation ring. A great private party purchase for $550!

djw54

Single-Sixer
kbm6893 said:
About 8 years ago, maybe right here on this forum, there was a link to an outfit selling used GP100's. All 4" and stainless. Price was $299. Mine came with factory case even numbered to the gun. Original Lett grips.

I stupidly sold it. I have two Six guns, a Service and a Security. Got that both for under $400 within the last couple of years. The Security I got like 3 months ago.

But a look on gunbroker is just crazy. Used GP's starting at $500. Throw in shipping and ffl and you're paying close to $600 for a used gun when new ones aren't much more. I know prices have gone up, but it used to be the GP was the cheaper alternative to the S&W 686. Not such a difference anymore.

Have patience and look around. There are dao police trades out there for $399, and i bought a near new stainless 4" on gb for low 4s within the last year.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I wouldn't sell my well used GP for $500, I've stupidly sold a few GP's and wish I had them back.

gunzo

Buckeye
Well, you did pay an uncommonly low price for one & it was 8 years ago, so a couple things there to skew your prospective on current prices.

But... I have noticed the price gap narrowing between Ruger & some of their competitors. There used to be a considerable percentage difference in price on comparable models. To look at current differences, I went to Buds, not always the best price around, but not a bad place to compare.
S&W, Ruger stainless double action adj. site, rubber grip med frame .357 magnum.

GP100 $661
686 $698

The Ruger still beats Smith in price, but gap has just about closed up, & price will no longer be a deciding factor.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I would agree, Ruger pricing has went up quite a bit over the last few years. Especially since President Trump has been in office. The gun frenzy is over and sales are way down so pricing has shot up. Just my 2 cents. I Love my GP100 TALO and would not sell it or trade it for a 686

jstanfield103 said:
The gun frenzy is over and sales are way down so pricing has shot up. Just my 2 cents. I Love my GP100 TALO and would not sell it or trade it for a 686

LOL that makes no sense, it's all about supply and demand The demand is up
so are prices! Demand is down so are prices! Your 2 cents does not add up :D ps

hittman

Staff member
The gun frenzy for used revolvers it hotter than ever in my neck of the woods.

I recently sold a "line-new-in-box" GP Match Champion for $500 to a DEALER who then made a profit on it.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Glad I bought mine for $320 way back in the early 90s. Also bought 3 stainless Service Sixes used. Now my son has a snub and 4" and so do I.