Scope for Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Looking for recommendations for a scope for my Redhawk .44 mag. I'm leaning towards a Leupold 2x, but I'm open to something better including a red dot sight that will fit the Ruger rings. My hunting will be mostly timber hunting for deer and elk with ranges out to 100 yards. TIA

contender

Ruger Guru
A red dot will be a faster to acquire sight,, with no magnification. A scope offers magnification with slower alignment,, combined with the shakes.
I have many scopes on many handguns,, and a Leupold 2x or 4x is most often preferred.
If you go with a red dot,, I highly recommend the UltraDot brand. I have several of them as well. For more precise shot placement get the smallest MOA dot offered.

dad45

Single-Sixer
I have a Burris 2x on my redhawk in fact been there for 20 yrs or more and i have never had to do anything since I first sigted it in

Aqualung

Blackhawk
From my experience, I'd say to stay away from high-power variables for a handgun. Spend the extra money you would for a variable and get a better quality scope.

I have a 2x-8x Weaver on my Super Blackhawk and never put it above 3x. Going up to 8x is tough to keep your eye in the field of view and also enhances all wobble and movement.

Aqualung

The UltraDot 1" or 30MM will fit in the Ruger ring space. The match one will not. I have the 30mm on my 5" 44 Super Redhawk. Very fast and plenty accurate for me out to about 75 yards. That is the longest distance I have shot it.

I have a 2x Nikon on my 12" Encore in 44. I have sot it out at 100 and it works great as well.

For me, from squirrels to bear if under 50 yards I definitely like the red dots. Between 50 and 100 I lean towards a 2x scope, but use both. 100 and past I much prefer a scope.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
The UltraDot 1" or 30MM will fit in the Ruger ring space. The match one will not. I have the 30mm on my 5" 44 Super Redhawk. Very fast and plenty accurate for me out to about 75 yards. That is the longest distance I have shot it.

I have a 2x Nikon on my 12" Encore in 44. I have sot it out at 100 and it works great as well.

For me, from squirrels to bear if under 50 yards I definitely like the red dots. Between 50 and 100 I lean towards a 2x scope, but use both. 100 and past I much prefer a scope.

I agree. I like Leupold and Burris handgun scopes for top accuracy, but have a couple Ultradots for hunting large or short range game.