Just in Case You are curious.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a friend back east who got all excited about picking up a nice blue Ruger Speed Six. Turned out it was in 38 special, and as much as he likes it, he was disappointed that it wasn't 357 mag. By chance I had a Ruger Security Six Cylinder with crane in stainless, in 357 mag. It was complete with the crane, so on the off chance it would work, I sent it to him. He said it was a very easy job to replace the cylinder and it latches and operates and the gun shoots well with it. I wasn't sure if it would work, but at least this time it did. He's pretty excited about it, plus he's got a two tone!! :mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
Some of the Six Series guns chambered in 38 Special bring a premium.

Now you tell me!!! Actually I figure he'll use it for tramping in the woods. I don't blame him for wanting a little more power. He's not a collector at all. I was surprised, that he said how easy it was to replace the cylinder and that it worked.

BPJ, doesn't surprise me at all. The parts of the Six series revolvers are all pretty much interchangeable, even between the low back and high back frames (the difference was the grip portion of the frames, not the "action" portions).

Some parts might need a bit of "fitting" but I haven't run into any of the major parts (cylinder assembly with crane, trigger group, hammer, barrels) that don't/won't interchange. The difference in the cylinders of the .38 and the .357 mag is just the depth of the chambers, the .357 chamber is cut 0.10" (or so) deeper than the .38's (so you can't put a .357 in a .38). Strength wise, they are the same cylinders.

As said, there are some Six series .38's that are rarer but not really in the Speed Six.

Sounds like your friend has a nice two tone Speed Six now :D

silverback

Blackhawk
I was able to find extra 357 cylinder assembly that for my security six and sent it off to TK customs for 9mm conversion. Works like a charm.

bogus bill

Hunter
We had 4" stainless speed six`s, 4" colt op`s and smith 4" 586`s on our department. The ruger felt by far the best in the hand to me.

Latest posts