Blackhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
I'm going to purchase a 2005 Blackhawk in 45 Colt, it is SS with a fluted cylinder and a Super hammer. Is this a slightly odd or even rare configuration? I don't mean 1 of 250, but not common, either. Thanks

gunman42782

Hunter
Someone more than likely just swapped out the regular hammer for a Super hammer. I do it all the time.

black029

Single-Sixer
I considered that, but it appears virtually new. People that do that usually burn some powder. But you didn't know the condition so it's still a good observation

Rclark

Hunter
You can fire a SS gun 'a lot' and it will still clean-up looking like new. Especially when one goes to sell it, one usually is a bit more picky on cleaning the nooks and crannies!

I too think the hammer was simply swapped out. There are some people that do it first thing as they like the super hammer better than the normal one.

jasper661

Bearcat
That sure sounds like after market to me, the first thing I did to my Blackhawk .45 was to replace the grip frame with a "super" grip frame.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Me too, on this .45 5 1/2" Vaq, the round guard from a Hunter SBH, a Montado hammer, and 5" long ejector:

medium800.jpg