RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:01 pm 
Blackhawk

I clean them every time I shoot them.... the few that aren't shot during a year get checked, cleaned and lightly lubed at the end of each year.
J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:06 pm 
Hunter

hittman wrote:
I only clean my guns after I shoot them; every time.

Remind me to never buy a used car from folks who don't take care of their equipment! :lol:

A big part of the reason it took us so long was because the wife had dishes in the dishwasher. Usually we would just break them down and load the dirty parts in the dishwasher, oil them up and reassemble. :wink:

All Around Good Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:13 pm 

Not a bad way to go with stainless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

I clean after every range session, usually within an hour of getting home. I hate cleaning guns but can't abide them being dirty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:40 am 
Blackhawk

My rimfires get cleaned after any range session otherwise they get cranky. I do not clean rimfire barrels until their groups start opening up or until I deem it's just time. Then they get re-seasoned before serious use. The center fires revolvers get cleaned after every range session, but not after light use meaning if they are on a trip where they might get shot every day but not a lot each day. Under those conditions they get cleaned when they need it. Like if they get wet or subjected to dust. Semi-autos get cleaned after every range sessions and as soon as can be scheduled after each use. Hunting rifles get cleaned after each season and after hunting sessions or range sessions the rest of the year. I try not to get into a situation where I have to hunt without a couple of fouling shots through the barrel of a hunting rifle. Lever action and shotguns get cleaned when I deem they are due but not after each time they are fired. After a range session yes, but working guns get cleaned when they need it but not after each time they are fired.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am 
Long Frame Super

ndcowboy wrote:
It is a rare day that goes by that I don't shoot a gun.
It is also a rare day that I clean a gun. :oops:

I fall into this category on my shooter guns! :oops: :oops:
My Display Guns I wipe them down well before I put back in the safes. :D

GUN COLLECTORS......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!

Living in the Middle of the Rocky Mountains!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm 
Hawkeye

I am not as anal as I used to be.

I shoot quite a bit. A stainless revolver that likely is gonna be shot again soon, might receive a silicone-rag wipe down and a barrel swab and nothing more. if it's gonna be put away for a while, then it gets the full treatment.

A semi auto that is gonna be shot again soon gets field stripped, scrubbed internally with a toothbrush and drop of oil, the barrel swabbed, and again that's it until I know it's gonna be put up for awhile, and then it'll also get the full treatment.

If any of these are gonna be used immediately as a carry piece, then it will get a full treatment, also.

But, blued guns get the full salon treatment, every time.

Last edited by WAYNO on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:31 pm 
Single-Sixer

I did an experiment with my stainless GP-100. I wanted to see how long I could go without cleaning. Just how rugged was this gun. My rules were that no corrosion or any real damage could happen. This gun is for target only and not used for defense.
I shot lead reloads. Proper bullet fit and Unique powder (not a clean choice of powder). I was surprised. The first round, I went 1000 rounds with out cleaning. After about 50 rounds the grime and residue did not change much. Accuracy did not fall off. (this is a very accurate gun) It cleaned up to look new. So, I went 3000 rounds. It cleaned up fine. I did 3000 rounds again and again all was fine. At this point I got real tiered of having a dirty gun all the time. It made me feel like a gun slob. (I guess I was).
I am back to cleaning it regularly. I would not have done this with a blued gun. I was surprised at the accuracy from such a dirty gun. The stainless steal cleans up well. I guess that speaks to bullet fit.
I don’t think I will adopt this practice.

How can you rightfully ask another human being to risk his life to protect yours, when you will assume no responsibility yourself? If you believe it reprehensible to possess the means and will to use lethal force to repel a criminal assault, how can you call upon another to do so for you?
--Jeffy R. Snyder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:07 pm 
Single-Sixer

Revolvers and glocks made me lazy. I use do ckean.my guns immediately after a range session. Now after several range sessions and seem then they aren't that dirty.

That lead cloth excellent on stainless.

Nice collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:10 pm 
Single-Sixer

Revolvers and glocks made me lazy. I use do clean my guns immediately after a range session. Now several range sessions go by before I clean . Even then they aren't super dirty and still easy to clean.

Spray down with ballistol.

That lead cloth excellent on stainless.

Nice collection

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:10 pm 
Single-Sixer

Maybe you should change your "handle" to AJGUNKLEANR as a reminder.

Certified Range Officer
Hunter Education Certified
Supporter - Boy Scouts of America (Eagle Scout dad)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 am 
Blackhawk

My late father cleaned his guns after every shooting session but he grew up in the days of corrosive primers and had mostly blued revolvers.

I have many stainless guns and take them to the range most often. I hate cleaning guns so they usually wait until I have an off, rainy day to get them done.

Pop used to joke with me that a clean gun shot better because it was happy. :mrgreen: Many of his guns are still very happy.

32Magfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 am 
Blackhawk

I too clean mine each time I shoot them which is typically about 100 rounds. The reason is largely psychological. Over half a century ago I was boyscout and was taught to not let the sun set on a dirty gun. Apparently that stuck with me.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 am 
Hawkeye

I also don’t clean rimfire barrels unless I have to. Like most people here, I clean my guns after every range session. But for example with my Mark II’s I only really break them down around every 2 or 3 thousand rounds, when they start to jam up. Then I go at them with Q-tips and they are spotless for another 2-3 thousand rounds!

9mm semi automatics seem to get dirty really quickly, they get thoroughly cleaned every use.

Sometimes it’s more fun to just go buy s new gun vs clean an old one. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am 
Hawkeye

I once "found" a blued S&W K-frame that had been shot and put away for close to 30 (thirty) years. In a near panic, I stripped it and put it on the cleaning bench. Absolutely ZERO indications of corrosion anywhere, no staining or even fading in the blueing, not even the sights or the slight shine at the muzzle OD.

If one owns a handful of guns or hundreds, clean when & where you please. I do not panic anymore over anything shot with modern US-made ammunition.

PC = Political Submission