Hinged white box for 150 series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Would like to know how long Ruger packaged the 150 series Security Six revolvers in the hinged white boxes. How common are the boxes?

hittman

Staff member
Chet15 is your answer man on this.
A subscription to RENE may be in the cards for you. I don't know how folks live without it.

I'm in a pretty rural area with darn few gun shows and such but I've never in my life seen one of those boxes for sale in person.

Here is what I have found out with the help of Chad the the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms.

The WHITE box with the cut out for the shape of the revolver was the first and was used from 1970 when the Six series was introduced until 1974.

Ruger then transitioned to a RED/WHITE box which was only used for a very short period of time.

They then changed the box to a RED/BLACK box and that color scheme was again only used for a few years.

The YELLOW/BLACK box color combination was used until Ruger discontinued the Six series revolvers in 1988 and introduced the GP100. The Yellow/black was used for several more years until Ruger started using the gray plastic boxes for shipping their revolvers.

This style box came with my very first security Six, s/n 150-74727 S

Are the white boxes scarce? I've owned only two in my lifetime.

This box came with a low-back, s/n 150-68527

So, as with everything else Ruger, there are overlaps and gaps.

We expect the white box with the cutout to have been correct for the earliest low-backs, but as above, the white box was issued with a gun after the change to the red and white boxes.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, the white boxes are really scarce!! Like Lightweight boxes you ever see, the more a gun was used, the less you'll see the box. Hawkeye boxes you'd think would be rare... but those didn't get shot much, so more boxes survive. There was also high attrition with long barreled SA's, like the 10" .357 and .44 flattops as well as the 9-1/2" Single-Six.
Somebody might be able to update the Ruger Reference information by now, but the white case is known as high as 150-90725.
Red and white hinged boxes are known from 150-85862 to 151-36514.
And the Red and black hinged box is now from at least 151-26486.
Chet15