remove/replace nbh front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jim Sharp

Bearcat
I recently got a smokin' deal on a 44 spl flattop bisley NMB. because the former owner felt he needed a thinner front sight blade and used a grinder to "bubba-fy" the sight. Ruger wants a lot of $$$ to replace and re-blue the sight. Not a pristine example, so I'm not looking to invest in the cosmetics. I will be grateful for any ideas . . . Thanks

G2

Hunter
I would mill off the blade, mill a slot, have a new blade, be it Ruger from a stainless gun or a custom installed with a drift pin.
Simply do what the Stainless guns are.

Any good gunsmith can do this operation. Where in Colorado's you reside?

You say Ruger wants a lot of "$$$" would you mind sharing how much that is.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, to properly restore the gun to it's original condition, the front sight would have to be removed & replaced. It's soldered on,, so a reblue would be in order.
But your question is a bit more about fixing it as a shooter,,,, and as such,, the advice G2 has given is probably the cheapest route. Look at any stainless Blackhawk,,, and you can see what he's talking about.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I had followed the reasoning to have a narrower front sight, but hot wanting to butcher my gun I got some rear sight blades from Ruger and widened the notch.

Jim Sharp

Bearcat
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Ruger wants about $200 to replace the base & blade and reblue - they don't offer any other option. Brings the cost of the gun to an unacceptable level.

Could go with G2's option, the most attractive in my opinion. I live south of Denver and I have an excellent gunsmith, but that's still a little bit expensive. My goal is to preserve the low cost.

The best option, of course, would have been what onehandgunner suggests, but that ship has sailed.

Finally, I've considered buying a used barrel and sight but so far I can't find one (I have a birdshead grip frame to trade if anyone has an interest). Could be pretty simple . . .

Thanks again to you all, Jim

NikA

Buckeye
Just how bad is this Bubba job? Got a pic? A skilled gunsmith/machinist could probably mill the sides of the thinned sight flat and parallel and the sight could be cold blued without too much effort.

If you're looking to have the original sight blade thickness, I'm afraid G2's option is probably the best bet.

I like G2's suggestion.

IF you're in the Denver area- maybe a quick project for a Gunsmithing student at the Colorado School of Trades?

Might help to keep the cost down...

Preserve the low cost is a nice thought, but may not be possible. Guess it depends on what you want, nice revolver or a cheap bubba revolver. 200 bucks to have Ruger fix it up seems reasonable to me, especially if you got a "Smoking Deal". Step up I do not believe you will regret it! Once Ruger works on it they'll own it and warranty it for life.
If it get Bubbarized you'll own any problem. Have Ruger fix it up JMO! ps

Jim Sharp

Bearcat
Found a precision micro welder who wants to "rebuild" the front sight blade to original dimensions. Says he'll use copper tubing to make a heat-sink around the sight base so no refinishing will be required. I'll post pix when it's done.

Joe S.

Hunter
A) You could get a solder on base from Brownells or Midway and have your welder friend solder it on or do it yourself. Then cold blue the barrel. You could use this time to talk to 2 dogs and get a nice front sight to replace the factory ramp.

B) you could take same front sight base from A and JB Weld it onto the barrel.

C) you could get one of those brass front sight covers made and attach to the front sight. Not sure where, but I've seen em before.

I have done A and B with good results.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You can grind off the current sight and base being careful when you get down close to the barrel and switch to a fine file. Call Ruger (336) 949-5200 and they'll send you a free new Flat top .44 Spl Blackhawk sight and ask for Super single six front target sight screw.

Drill (#33) and tap threads (6 x 40) in the barrel, drill and counter sink the sight base to install like a Ruger single six target sight. Cold blue the new sight and screw in place.

2 dogs sights (already blued): https://fermincgarza.com/shop?olsPage=products