RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:17 pm 
Hunter

Got the GP 22 for my kids and tuned it the best I could with a wolff spring kit but to get reliable hammer strike had to go a bit heavier than I like.

Also the GP was a bit heavy for my kids after a few minutes of shooting.

So got a used SP. The hammer spring feels heavy and so I figured I'd ask if someone has been down this road already.

Thanks for the input,
RoyLT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 pm 
Hawkeye

Yes I have. And I experienced unreliable ignition with anything other than the factory spring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 pm 
Hunter

I still need to do some google research but do you know what the pounds are factory and what you may have tried?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 pm 
Hawkeye

roylt wrote:
I still need to do some google research but do you know what the pounds are factory and what you may have tried?

I do not know or remember the weight of any of the springs. Bullseye or Wolff's site should list the ratings. And another thing...Keep track of the springs. They all look the same and it's easy to lose track of which one is which once they leave their little baggy.

I looked it up.
Factory standard is 14 lb. Anything less would not ignite the primers regularly. And for the record, my experimentation was with the original SP 101. It's 16 lb for the newer model SP 101.

And further, I'm only discussing hammer springs, as I've found little to no benefit in changing trigger return springs.

Lastly, if you have the original model of the SP 101, I could dig up the springs and let you try them for yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 pm 
Hunter

That would be very kind of you to send the springs.

Appreciate the info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 am 
Hunter

Quote:
I've found little to no benefit in changing trigger return springs.

This has been my experience as well, with any of the Ruger DA's

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:49 pm 
Hawkeye

Interesting...I found two packages of springs. One package was empty, and the other was a complete set, unopened. :?

They are in the mail.

Again, note that these springs are for the original issue SP-101, so make sure they are correct for your revolver.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 pm 
Hunter

Finally got dry enough that the park with the range is open. Tinkered over the weekend and installed the lightest springs. 8 Trigger and 10 hammer.

Range day today over lunch with a couple guys from work. Single action fired every round perfect. Double action was about 70% fail rate.

Only tried Remington bulk ammo.

I think for now I will leave it like this until I have a chance for the kids to try it.

Thanks so much to all the helped,
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:00 am 
Single-Sixer

Not the same but, related. I put the Wolfe kit in my SP 101-357. No ignition issues, but, hammer fall was too slow for my liking. I replaced with the factory springs .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am 
Buckeye

Here's another "not the same." I owned a S&W M34 Kit Gun in .22 LR. It was fine, 100%, in single action, but maybe 60-70% in double action. No matter what I tried-heavier springs, checking head space, etc.-I never got it more reliable than 80%. I finally sold it. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:06 pm 
Buckeye

I have one and found that I didn't care for the return with lighter springs. A little polishing and a lot of shooting and that gun is now smooth as silk and 100% reliable with the stock springs in it.

"I buy guns to shoot and not to fondle and admire" RugerForum Member 5of7

NRA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:19 pm 
Hunter

My kids are young so their small hand size and strength of the thumb while gripping the pistol was too much at stock spring rate. I fear that while trying to pull the hammer back they slip and hit the trigger.

I move very slowly with my kids and gun training. I rather be very safe than sorry.

The trigger is very smooth in single action and I really don't shoot much double action. Yeilds more lead on steel if you know what I mean. haha And that keeps the kids interested. The ding of the plate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 am 
Bearcat

I had been through this with an SP-101 in .22 and wound up using the 11 lb. main spring. A thorough cleaning of the insides may help as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:15 pm 
Blackhawk

The top step on the hammer that contacts the recoil shield can be reduced by up to 0.020" to allow more transmission of energy to the firing pin which will allow a somewhat lighter spring to be used. Elsewhere I have read that on the newer models with the firing pin bushing that comes out at the back of the recoil shield that the firing pin can be reshaped a bit to get better ignition. If going to a lighter trigger return spring the plunger spring channel on the trigger guard should be deburred with a 13/64" drill bit and polished inside.