(Sort of ...) NIB Ruger GP 100 for $200.00

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Made the rounds today of our NorCal gun stores, did some pick ups and saw a looking new 6" stainless Ruger GP 100 for $200.00. The catch - a little note which read "cracked barrel". Took a look and the forcing cone is indeed cracked at about the 2 o'clock position. About enough to get your fingernail into. The gun is otherwise perfect so, I bought it. So, what next?

I've replaced a few Smith barrels, but it's been years. Never done the same on a Ruger. My plan is to just mail it in to Ruger for replacement. What should I expect, bill wise? Any chance this will get fixed for free?

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Give Ruger a call.
I would bet they will fix it or more than likely send you a new one after inspecting it.
That is what they did for me when I bought a used Mini 14 that did nothing but jamb.
It didn't cost me a dime.

contender

Ruger Guru
Call Ruger,, be polite,, and explain how your GP-100 has a crack in the forcing cone. Politely request a pre-paid shipper from them to ship it to them. Let them decide what is best & SAFE!

hittman

Staff member
Good deal ...... I'd buy all of those I see for that kinda money.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
So JB Weld is out of the question ...... :wink:

I'll give Ruger a call as suggested. Am hopeful they do just a barrel switch out. Rest of the area around it is sturdy and looked fine.

If they send a new gun the "great deal" is no longer so great, unless it carries the same serial number. If they send me a gun with a different serial number it will most likely have to go to a CA FFL. And unless I get a deal going through one of my locals that's going to cost me about $125.00 in transfer costs. Still not bad.

contender

Ruger Guru
Explain that to them in your phone call AND write a letter to ship along with it. Firmly request a bbl replacement if at all possible.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Have you verified the frame is not stretched/dameged etc? This might be judged as-caused by excessive handloads or similar "abuse" by Ruger? I recall handloads violate their implied warranty...?

I'm sure Ruger will replace any part of the gun (to factory specs) that one is willing to pay for.
Afterall, they have a published price list for repair & specific parts, re-barreling included (4*0 for double-action revolvers, plus re-finishing, etc. See https://ruger.com/service/partsService.html
Still, Ruger requires a call to request an RMA # at least, so they will let you know the bottom line on repair requests. Good Luck, and let us know what they do! :?: :?:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
Have you verified the frame is not stretched/dameged etc? This might be judged as-caused by excessive handloads or similar "abuse" by Ruger? I recall handloads violate their implied warranty...?

I'm sure Ruger will replace any part of the gun (to factory specs) that one is willing to pay for.
Afterall, they have a published price list for repair & specific parts, re-barreling included (4*0 for double-action revolvers, plus re-finishing, etc. See https://ruger.com/service/partsService.html
Still, Ruger requires a call to request an RMA # at least, so they will let you know the bottom line on repair requests. Good Luck, and let us know what they do! :?: :?:

Other than eyeballing it and the gun store's story that the gun was recently sold new by them and returned with only a few rounds through it - I don't have much to go on. Cylinder gap looked fine. I'll let everyone know the results.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
flex-seal-family-of-products-large-6.jpg

xtratoy

Buckeye
I had a GP100 that had a bulged barrel. Isent gun to Ruger and they quoted me a $380+ cost to rebarrel and refinish. I explained that since it was a stainless gun no refinish would be needed since the rebarrrling cost was around $180. They said all or nothing so I got the gun back unrepaired and bought a parts gun off of gunbroker.com and fixed itmyself. This was 6 years ago so your mileage may vary. But since your gun has an obvious defect in material they will probably fix it for you.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
xtratoy said:
I had a GP100 that had a bulged barrel. Isent gun to Ruger and they quoted me a $380+ cost to rebarrel and refinish. I explained that since it was a stainless gun no refinish would be needed since the rebarrrling cost was around $180. They said all or nothing so I got the gun back unrepaired and bought a parts gun off of gunbroker.com and fixed it myself. This was 6 years ago so your mileage may vary. But since your gun has an obvious defect in material they will probably fix it for you.

I figure about $150.00 is my comfort zone cost on this one. Total cost of $350.00 for a GP100, I can live with that. Then again, I've fitted a few Smith barrels so doing it myself is an option too.

mohavesam said:

Ruger CS doesn't care about handloads, in my experience. When they overhauled my 4" Redhawk (replaced the barrel, pawl, trigger and hammer + a refinish and did it for free), I sent in several cases showing them them the offset firing pin marks. I even stated that they were my handloads.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
"My plan is to just mail it in to Ruger for replacement."

Only FFL holders can mail handguns. Hopefully Ruger will send you a shipping label for either UPS or FedEx. If they don't, have your local gun shop send it via mail. It should be a lot cheaper than you taking it to a UPS or FedEx hub.

LAH

Buckeye
Surely someone local could screw a barrel on the thing. Just a thought.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1404560

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Muley Gil said:
"My plan is to just mail it in to Ruger for replacement."

Only FFL holders can mail handguns. Hopefully Ruger will send you a shipping label for either UPS or FedEx. If they don't, have your local gun shop send it via mail. It should be a lot cheaper than you taking it to a UPS or FedEx hub.

I guess I shouldn't use "mail" in its generic form. Ruger sent me a FedEx shipping label, sent it back last week. Just received an e-mail that it's "with a tech" for assessment.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
LAH said:
Surely someone local could screw a barrel on the thing. Just a thought.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1404560

Heck, I could. Have done a few Smith & Wessons - wait, maybe that was Dan Wesson .... :wink:

I have done a few Smiths, but I want a 6" barrel and figure if Ruger does it for no cost, all the better - I'm in no hurry.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Well, shipped for free and fixed for free. Kind of a PITA that I can't have it held at the FedEx hub instead of delivered to home address, where I'm not at home during the work day. They won't redirect. Basically, I'll have to sit at home and wait for it.

Ruger says FedEx will try 3 deliveries. Question - if I don't sit & wait and they leave a door tag the 1st time, can I then tell FedEx to hang on to it for pick up at their hub?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
In Missouri, I can ship a firearm to Ruger, without FFL. Different from a transfer. I bought a well used 1974 BH. .357. It was loose. Accurate, but light primer strikes. Ruger did send me a plain brown box. I shipped it Fed Ex. Then Fed Ex delivered to front door. I signed for it. Pain free. Ruger put new parts in frame. Cost me nothing

Latest posts