RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm 
Single-Sixer

How can you easily check the difference between cylinders? Its a 45 acp cyl.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:54 pm 
Ruger Guru

we found over the years it is usually the difference in the length of the stem ( Lug or gas seal) at the front of the cylinder,,,the old models the lug is short, new models have a longer stem........

Hope this helps............

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:22 pm 
Single-Sixer

I think Dan is referring to the difference between the old model 3 screw and the new model made from 1973 onward. There is also the New Model Flattop Blackhawk and New Model Vaquero which are medium framed guns with smaller cylinders than the older full size "New Models." The medium frame new model guns have the short gas ring, but they also have a scalloped ratchet star which is easy to distinguish between the two. The scalloped ratchet star is ONLY found on the medium framed guns, which also have a THREE digit prefix in the serial number.

Large frame Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, and Vaquero on the left, medium frame Blackhawk Flattop and New Vaquero on the right.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throat reaming? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? Shoot me a PM! Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Cylinderhone-756429174391912/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:50 am 
Single-Sixer

Short stem, so probably old model. Looks unused

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 pm 
Hawkeye

Just FYI: there's no scallops on the old model mid frame which are only 38/357s, and as I recall, scallops are not needed on the new model large or mid-frame 357 or 9mm cylinders for case head clearance.

So we have to fallback on the gas ring length to discern between old and new model cyls. And on the cyl diameter to discern between new mid-frame and new large frame 357 cyls.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Last edited by Hondo44 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:47 am 
Ruger Guru

.....and we can add to the fact on a few of the calibers, of 'old model' cylinders, there was a "firing pin" groove machined around the rear from chamber to chamber.
Yes, after around 2005 with the making of the anniversary flatops and other down sized frame sizes of Blackhawks (oh yes, and the Vaquero's, "New" and old ( original) this opened up a whole new catagory of just what size is each of these NEWER, NEW MODEL, guns as to frames as well as cylinders, and yes obviously they have had to redo ( reconfigure) the ratchets for the various guns ala 5,6,7 or 8 and even 10 shot capacity ......
hence my replay to ONLY the old models versus the "new" models of 1973 8) :roll: :wink:

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 pm 
Buckeye

What always jumps out at me in 45 land is the amount of steel between the chambers plus the smaller frames have a slightly shorter cylinder.