RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:35 pm 
Hunter

Is it much larger than the Charter Arms Bulldog XL .45 Colt?

I have the .44 Special Bulldog and quite interested in the .45 Colt version which is slightly larger than the .44

Would be great if Ruger would bring out one along that size.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 pm 
Blackhawk

Think that would be the Redhawk. Quite a bit bigger/heavier than the Charter Arms.

Redhawk weighs 44 oz, roughly twice the weight of the Charter. Longer barrel and six shots in the Ruger, though.

If you could live with another .44 Spl, you could get a GP-100 .44. Still a much heavier revolver than the Bulldog.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 pm 
Hawkeye

I can't name a Charter Arms 45 Colt beside the XL.

In the past Taurus has had an Ultra light 44 Special and an Ultra light 45 Colt. Occasionally you can find them on the used market.

I'd love to have one in 45 Colt, but have given up on that. I also don't mind 44 Specials. I have them in the Taurus Ultra Light 44 Special, Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special, Ruger GP100 and a Ruger flat top 44 Special. In the past I've also had a Taurus 431 and 441, and 441 Target model. All nice guns, look to be on the same size frame as a K Frame. Then there are the more expensive Smith 44 Specials 696 and 624. But I can't think of any other 45 Colts, outside of the N frame guns. I might have to try the Charter Arms 45 Colt XL. It's a lower pressure round.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 pm 
Hawkeye

I also think the 41 mag CharterArms will attract a lot of attention.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 am 
Hunter

Here's a Taurus Titanium .45 LC on gunbroker.com:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815205306

Unfortunately, it's been altered to DAO. Probably could be easily converted back to SA/DA.
I have one and it's a nice carry size - only 19 oz. unloaded. It fits in a 'K' frame size holster. It is what it is. Taurus double action could stand some work to smooth it up.
There is no comparable Ruger. There is some gossip that Ruger actually cast the titanium frames for Taurus but I can't confirm that.
Terry T

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm 
Hawkeye

Terry, IMHO, that is a travesty making that a DAO gun. I wonder how hard it would be to get a new hammer and have it installed. Might have to stick with the new C/A Bulldog XL.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 pm 
Blackhawk

Definitely more than buying this one that hasn't been converted: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818360881

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 pm 
Buckeye

NikA wrote:
Definitely more than buying this one that hasn't been converted: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818360881

I had no idea. Bought mine in 41 Magnum a few years back for $295.00. Damn it hurts to shoot - like hitting a ball wrong with an aluminum bat on a cold day kind of hurt.

The problem with Taurus is they make things "just enough". Meaning the springs are just strong enough, the hand and cylinder bolt are just thick enough. The engineering is fine, just beef it up and execute better. If Ruger could duplicate these size short barreled revolvers with 41, 44 or 45 (or 45 ACP) and especially in an alloy frame, would be something terrific.

Political science without biography is taxidermy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:48 pm 
Hunter

I'm often tempted to grab one of those .45 Colt Bulldogs but then remember where they went big on the cylinder
throat size at .455+ and that could cause some leading issues with .452 lead bullets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Mus, is the cylinder throat size a common problem. There's so little out there about the gun it's hard to know what is common. That is a very old diameter, I'm hard pressed to believe that they would intentionally do that as a marketing tool. If that's what it is, I'll walk way myself. I have the Bulldog in 44 Special and I'm good with it. But I like the 45 Colt. I just don't need the potential issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:37 pm 
Hunter

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
Mus, is the cylinder throat size a common problem. There's so little out there about the gun it's hard to know what is common. That is a very old diameter, I'm hard pressed to believe that they would intentionally do that as a marketing tool. If that's what it is, I'll walk way myself. I have the Bulldog in 44 Special and I'm good with it. But I like the 45 Colt. I just don't need the potential issues.

Haven't seen or measured the .45 Colt version yet but from what I have read from owners Charter Arms used the high end of SAAMI specs on the throat size of the .45 Colt. and some have been .455.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:35 pm 
Hawkeye

More input: http://singleactions.proboards.com/thre ... dog-45colt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:07 pm 
Hunter

Called my LGS but they didn't have any .45 Colt 'dogs in stock..would have to be ordered.
I wanted to hold one and compare to my .44 Special.

Haven't heard anything about leading issues due to .455 throat size. Seems nobody mentions it.
May get one of these soon just to have one!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 pm 
Hawkeye

Looking forward to a report, when you get it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:26 pm 
Buckeye

BPJ, I bought one of the Charter 41 magnums when they first came out last fall. I plan to shoot 41 specials in it, when I get around to shooting it. I suspect the 45 Colt with standard loads would be a potent fight stopper. Bob! 8)