Color hardened Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine just picked this up. Not knowing much about Vaqueros, what do you guys think? All original? It looks nice to me.

vcch.jpg

vaq.jpg

the "original" Ruger released Vaqueros were no actually "case hardened", though it looked similar,it was an inked on color process and if cleaned too hard, too often or the wrong cleaning solvent, rubbed and wore away.......towards the end , we had to refinish ( actually blue) some of those Vaqueros that the finish rubbed off........you can get "case coloring" today from such as 'Tyler Gun works' or' Turnbull Restorations' but for the Rugers, it is NOT "hardened" as the RUger are cast from a chrome -moly alloy and that being a "complex metal" does NOT "hardened and actually gets 'brittle'. 8) :roll: :wink:

still the vaqueros are a NICE gun, look neat and are great to shoot...just gotta take care of their finish, so if he likes it,,,go for it

Rclark

Hunter
I wished they continued the case coloring. I don't mind if the case color fades over time. Just gives it more 'character' and old/antique look anyway. The major problem with my .45 Colt original Vaquero was the cylinder throats. They were all way undersized. That and it had a barrel constriction. Reaming and fire lapping took care of those problems! Then had the barrel turned to solve the Kentucky windage condition. Anyway I like my original Vaquero and New Vaqueros. Nice revolvers.... when setup properly!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah the CC Vaq have murky colors but still good guns.

.45 Colt/ACP convertable 5 1/2" original Large frame Vaquero with SBH Hunter SS grip frame, extra long 5" ejector rod for full extraction of those long 45 C cases, and New Vaq Montado hammer. Nothing too special, just all factory parts.

medium800.jpg

......and yes I too had them done also here is one done by the above mentioned Tyler Gun works for me some time ago...case colored.......

LWbs5Udm.jpg

8) :roll:

Bobby Tyler does awesome work....... :wink:

SteelBlue, from the pictures it's hard to tell, between glare (which happens) and rub marks. Regardless it appears to be a very functional shooter. I like those grips. I'm sure your friend will find it very handy. They will handle some very stout loads as well, just not as much fun to shoot.