RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:59 pm 
Blackhawk

I'm building a holster for friend and would like to use my N frame Smith pattern for layout. Will the Redhawk fit in the large frame size Smith holster? Any help would be appreciated. Rod

Thank a Vet for your freedom of speech, religion, and the RIGHT and DUTY to keep and bear arms. Politicians, preachers, reporters, and community organizer's had nothing to do with it. You want change, then vote the bums out...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 pm 

My experience is yes, Redhawks use N Frame holsters.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 am 
Blackhawk

Rodfac wrote:
I'm building a holster for friend and would like to use my N frame Smith pattern for layout. Will the Redhawk fit in the large frame size Smith holster? Any help would be appreciated. Rod

I have water molded top grain to Redhawks and M-57’s and M-29’s, and do not consider the smaller, arced topstrap M-29/M-57 a snug fit in the Redhawk leather. The beefier, square topstrap Redhawk doesn’t fit the M-29/M-57 holster.

I suppose a pancake could be sewn which will hold either revolver, and use the bulky belt tabs fore & aft to cinch it to your body.
David Bradshaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 am 
Blackhawk

I'm going to agree with Mr. Bradshaw. I just tested my 4" M57 (Mountain Gun) in a molded holster that fits my 4" .41 Redhawk snugly, and there is noticeable wiggle with the Smith. Both are half-lug guns. There is a definite dimensional difference between the rounded top strap of the Smith and the square top strap of the Redhawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:21 am 
Blackhawk

Thanx...just what I needed...hope to get to Cabelas in Louisville this pm (a three hour round trip) to see if my re-drawn pattern will work out if they have a display model. I'm trying to avoid using a tensioning screw, preferring a snug fit that will preclude using a snap strap or thong. It may be beyond what I can fit without the gun in hand. There's more than enough work involved stitching in the lining without screwing up 8 hours of work.

Regards, Rod

Thank a Vet for your freedom of speech, religion, and the RIGHT and DUTY to keep and bear arms. Politicians, preachers, reporters, and community organizer's had nothing to do with it. You want change, then vote the bums out...