Vaqueros more expensive than Blackhawks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Noticed on Buds Guns website that the .45 Colt Vaqueros can be $100 or more than same style Blackhawk .45 Colt. With the Blackhawk being the stronger revolver,more steel, and with adjustable sights you would think it would be more expensive. Interesting!

Buds, :evil: Buy local someday you'll be glad you patronized a local shop! JMO as usual!
The few dollars you save will not make up for the pleasure of doing your business
with a neighbor and friend. Big Box Store Blues! nah not for me. ps

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You need to compare retail prices for the true difference of $160:

Vaq $829 - hand fitted blued steel grip frame, wood product grips, and reverse indexing pawl system.

BH $669 - generic fit alum alloy powder coated grip frame, plastice grip, adj sights, and no reverse indexing pawl system.

As far as strength differences, the frame size makes no difference it's the cyl size. The larger frame is only to accommodate the larger cyl. And the 44 Mag Vaq has the same large frame and cyl, same strength. The advantage of the large cyl/frame BH only pertains to the 45 Colt.

So that's the reasons for the prices.

Hope that helps,

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
hand fitted blued steel grip frame,

I wonder if it's actually hand fitted and if so why. They can make the steel frame as precise as aluminum, so it wouldn't need hand fitting. I'm not doubting your word, just wondering if Ruger is playing a little creative marketing.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
The Blackhawk has been around for umpteen years, the Vaquero has been around for a few years. It's called supply and demand.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
diyj98 said:
Hondo44 said:
hand fitted blued steel grip frame,

I wonder if it's actually hand fitted and if so why. They can make the steel frame as precise as aluminum, so it wouldn't need hand fitting. I'm not doubting your word, just wondering if Ruger is playing a little creative marketing.

That's very true but the steel would not fit any better than the alum grip frame which is only mediocre at best.

The steel GF is used on the more premium models, originally only the Super BH. So hand fitted and polished to match the frame better than the alum GF, then blued befits a gun with steel GF.

Bobshouse1

Bearcat
You can look at a Vaquero and a Blackhawk side by side and see why they are more expensive.

schloss

Single-Sixer
More material does not necessarily make anything more expensive. The labor involved with something like a revolver far outweighs material price.

I think it's simply a supply and demand scenario right now. I will say that my vaqueros are put together much nicer than my blackhawks. Also, you'll pay more for the steel frames than for aluminum.

Latest posts