RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:42 am 
Hawkeye

Nice looking. I had one with sights and got rid of it. Still kicking myself.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Yep, if the cyl pin doesn't hold the transfer bar back, it catches on the firing pin and the hammer can't be cocked.

I forgot to suggest you point the muzzle up and then it will cock.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Last edited by Hondo44 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Thanks Hondo, I did get it back and took it to the range to test fire. It works and is very smooth, and of course accurate.

However, if I cock the hammer to load it, BUT go back just a little bit more with the hammer, (slightly beyond the first notch,) I can rotate the cylinder just a bit and it will still lock up. At that point with the hammer, the cylinder will rotate but it’s a little rough. And everything is frozen, hammer, trigger and cylinder.

I’ve tried this a few times and it does the same thing every time. To free it I have to remove the cylinder. Pointing it up doesn’t work or this.

I’m happy, and not going to do anything, but just puzzled by this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 pm 

Kevin wrote:

I’ve tried this a few times and it does the same thing every time.

I would offer, respectfully, stop doing that.

Bet any of us can "make" any gun in our safe not work if we try hard enough. Sounds like it works as designed under normal circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:39 pm 
Hawkeye

Kevin wrote:

However, if I cock the hammer to load it, BUT go back just a little bit more with the hammer, (slightly beyond the first notch,) I can rotate the cylinder just a bit and it will still lock up. At that point with the hammer, the cylinder will rotate but it’s a little rough. And everything is frozen, hammer, trigger and cylinder.

I’ve tried this a few times and it does the same thing every time. To free it I have to remove the cylinder. Pointing it up doesn’t work or this.

I’m happy, and not going to do anything, but just puzzled by this.

I can not make my Bearcat do that.

The 1st notch is the loading notch, and if I keep moving the hammer back after the loading notch clicks, the cylinder lock clicks as it pops up and the cyl will lock if turned. However, the hammer can still be dropped back to the loading notch or cocked all the way back to full cock and the trigger can be pulled as normal.

So something is still not right. I would discuss with Dave or send back to Ruger.

The New Model Bearcats use a cyl locking bolt with a small cam on the hammer just like a Colt single action. New Model Bearcats use the old safety transfer bar retrofit kit parts exactly like old model conversions to the transfer bar system. It's not like the old model Bearcat or other new model Ruger SAs. The Colt will lock up just as you describe when the cyl locking bolt and cam are not fit properly.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:25 am 
Hawkeye

Hey! Thanks for the information!