RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm 
Single-Sixer

Ruger offers single action revolvers with "standard" hammers and "Bisley" revolver hammers. I have been able to thumb cock single action revolvers while maintaining my grip only by using my "off" hand. Having small hands, I am able to thumb cock with shooting hand only by breaking my grip to use what I call my "gunslinger fast draw" method of cocking.

1. Are Bisley hammers easier to cock with shooting hand than standard hammers? If they are easier . . .

2. Can Bisley hammers be used effectively with standard grip frame? OR must grip frame become Bisley also?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:19 pm 
Blackhawk

I've only shot one Bisley and didn't like it. I couldn't cock the action with a single handed grip. I normally use a Chapman stance and a high two handed grip. I cock the revolver with my off hand thumb. I can do this with either the Bisley or standard. I can't cock most revolvers with one hand and the standard grip either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:23 pm 
Single-Sixer

Yes, I find Ruger Bisleys easier to cock with one hand, but I can shoot standard Ruger Vaquero's (old model) with one hand as well. I don't like the New Vaquero extended hammer.
Ruger Bisley hammers require Ruger Bisley grip frame to my knowledge.

FYI: Colt Bisleys originally came out 1894-1912 as one handed target revolvers for the competitions at the turn of the prior to last century at the Bisley range in England.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:28 pm 
Hunter

Bisley hammers can be modified to work in any Ruger grip frame.
The spur is the lowest of all the hammers and the extra width help’s.

Single 7

Birdshead Single 7

This picture shows different spur heights, and what needs to be removed to work in grip frames other than Bisley.

Birdshead Vaquero with & without.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 pm 
Ruger Guru

A lot of good info above. Read it, study it & understand what & how things work. The Bisley hammers do allow a lower & easier thumb placement for single handed cocking. And as the pics show,, you can modify a Bisley hammer to work in a standard grip frame.

I was teaching a class yesterday of new or very inexperienced lady shooters. We have them shoot DA revolvers. I also have them try it in SA mode. I want them to experience both ways. I have them use one hand & two hands to operate it. Without fail,,, when trying to cock a revolver for SA mode,, ALL prefer to use the "off" hand to cock the hammer. And I explain it allows for the dominant hand to maintain a proper grip, and still allow SA operation.
In SASS shooting,, when using a two handed grip,, every shooter that is serious uses the off thumb to cock a SA gun. One in the categories where the use of one hand is required will a shooter use the dominant hand to cock AND fire the gun.

I always teach that if possible,, always use two hands to operate a handgun as much as possible. Much better control all around.

But, yes,, you can use the Bisley hammers once the "hump" is modified. You can also look into using a Super Blackhawk hammer as well.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:45 am 
Hawkeye

A Super hammer will drop right into a Blackhawk without modification and sits almost as low as a Bisley hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 am 
Hunter

I have two hands, one for cocking and one for squeezing ;-)

That said, the Bisley is easy to cock with one hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:15 pm 
Hawkeye

The Bisley, Super BH, and Montado NV hammers all have wider and lower hammer spurs which are easier to reach.

The New Vaq has a lower and extra long hammer spur which is not only easier to reach, but easier to cock due to the extra leverage of its longer spur. And no modifications needed:

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA