Are Vaquero and New Vaquero internals compatible?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dos Vaqueros

Single-Sixer
Wondering if the trigger, transfer bar, and other internals are the same or not? I know the hammers are because I've swapped out hammers many times.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Mostly they are with a few exceptions:

The new hammer is slightly shorter at the top due to the frame change from large size to mid-size, but they do swap.

Transfer bars likely the same length but may need slight fitting.

The NV hand is different because it's a "free spin" hand. Without the little divot in the top of the trigger guard strap of the New Vaq, it may bind in an original Vaq. And without the parts below, the cyl will spin in both directions whenever the loading gate is open.

The NV also has three extra parts; the chamber alignment pawl, spring, and set screw in the hammer channel. These can be added to any original large frame Vaq by drilling and tapping one hole.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I don't worry much about part numbers. I've swapped transfer bars between original Vaqueros and New Vaqueros, without fail or falter. Took this photo 2yrs ago next month to help educate someone else who held the same incorrect belief. Only difference I can tell you, is the manufacturing process - MIM in the New - as they are dimensionally and functionally identical.

35412642520_948d05d9e4_z.jpg

All Vaqueros, New and original, are New Model guns.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Lumpy Grits said:
The t'bars and hammer springs will NOT interchange between OMV and NMV.
This is proven with different P/Ns.
LG

Not proven; can't go by part numbers, they often change while different numbered parts are still interchangeable.

The NV uses a 24 coil mainspring while the Vaq uses the standard 28 coil spring of other Ruger SAs. Not only do they interchange, but the 24 coil spring is a pleasant improvement in all overly stiff Ruger SAs especially in the single six frames with their shorter hammers, i.e., less leverage.

Lumpy Grits

Bearcat
Yet-You sure as heck wouldn't want a OMV hammer spring in a NMV............ :p
Even IF it could fit........... :lol:
I tried a OMV t'bar in both my wife's 2010 made NMV.
It was a no go........
LG

Latest posts