Ruger 357 Magnum Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I observed a 7 1/2" barreled Bisley Revolver today with serial number 37-569XX. I checked the new Ruger serial number lookup and it listed 2005 as the manufacturer year, I then looked at my RENE pocket guide and that serial number is listed as being in the 1998 serial number range for the Blackhawk....I would normally trust the RENE over the Ruger website except the fired case envelope listed Feb 2005 as the test fire date....my question is did Ruger serial number these frames in 1998 and not build the revolver until 2005?? model number is 00331, it is an RB-35W revolver....I have it on hold for now....I think I want to buy it. :lol:

Thanks for any insight ...

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I would normally trust RENE over the Ruger website but in this case since it has the fired case I would say Ruger is right that it shipped in 2005 and that RENE is correct that it should have shipped in 1998. It may have sat as a complete gun from 1998 and shipped in 2005 as I think Ruger would have used the frame on the standard Blackhawk in 357 which I dont think Ruger ever has dropped from their catalog. I believe in 1998 that gun would have had rosewood grips but I'm not sure Ruger had changed to laminate wood by 2005.
It also appears Ruger has updated their website so it gives a specific ship date instead of a range that used to be on their website so it may be more accurate.

JCW64 said:
I would normally trust RENE over the Ruger website but in this case since it has the fired case I would say Ruger is right that it shipped in 2005 and that RENE is correct that it should have shipped in 1998. It may have sat as a complete gun from 1998 and shipped in 2005 as I think Ruger would have used the frame on the standard Blackhawk in 357 which I dont think Ruger ever has dropped from their catalog. I believe in 1998 that gun would have had rosewood grips but I'm not sure Ruger had changed to laminate wood by 2005.
It also appears Ruger has updated their website so it gives a specific ship date instead of a range that used to be on their website so it may be more accurate.

Thanks, the revolver does have rosewood grips....

hittman

Staff member
I have a "D" serial numbered GP100 that sat at the factory 9 years. By serial number it should have NOT come in a plastic box and should NOT have come with Pach rubber grips but ..... it did.

RENE does have a special note on these few like mine. So, things like that do happen.

hittman said:
I have a "D" serial numbered GP100 that sat at the factory 9 years. By serial number it should have NOT come in a plastic box and should NOT have come with Pach rubber grips but ..... it did.

RENE does have a special note on these few like mine. So, things like that do happen.

I just noticed that there are two end labels on the plastic box, an orange one over what appears to be a white one...

Whatever the "collector" questions and answers are for this revolver, I can tell you I had one of the original ones back in the '90s and if any revolver ever "shot like a rifle," that one did. And with a two-hand hold, they are about as steady as a rifle. So if you get it, don't just "collect" it!