RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alloy grip frames.....
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:56 pm 
Hawkeye

The thread about the polished SS grip frames has raised some question with me.

First off, I understand Ruger alloy grip frames are now ZAMAK rather than aluminum, is that correct? If so, does ZAMAK polish to bright silver when the finish is removed?

I know the aluminum frames did polish bright, not so bright as SS, but attractive enough to suit most who have tried this treatment.

Bob Wright

P.S. I understand the aluminum frames were alloy, too. And ZAMAK contains aluminum.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm 
Blackhawk

As far as I know, the Wrangler .22 is the only Zamak frame single action Ruger revolver.

I hope.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:36 pm 
Hawkeye

arfmel wrote:
As far as I know, the Wrangler .22 is the only Zamak frame single action Ruger revolver.

I hope.

Some posts I've read elsewhere seem to think differently.

Bob Wright

(Later) There is some speculation that since the Wrangler's grip frame is ZAMAK and is cerocoated (?) that likely all alloy grips frames will be so made. This a cost cutting move.

Last edited by Bob Wright on Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:23 pm 
Blackhawk

The findings I get for jewelry are generally a duller silver/gray. Most really high polished shinny are silver plated but Zamak takes a high polish and can be shinny depending on the exact alloy. It's very easy to silver plate though. By it's self you will not get the shine you get from SS, silver, nickel or chrome.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:53 pm 
Blackhawk

Well, we should by now know better than to be surprised by any misguided idea promulgated by bean-counters who run gun companies. But I hope that the speculation is incorrect.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:26 pm 
Blackhawk

If Rugger provides CNC & printer files with releases/licenses then what's the problem? You could make y'r own from most anything e.g. titanium, SS, depleted uranium, gold, plsstic foam, .... Well using a gas, liquid or plasma would be problematic!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 pm 
Bearcat

Bob Wright wrote:
arfmel wrote:

I hope.

Some posts I've read elsewhere seem to think differently.

Bob Wright

(Later) There is some speculation that since the Wrangler's grip frame is ZAMAK and is cerocoated (?) that likely all alloy grips frames will be so made. This a cost cutting move.

I'd sure like to know the answer to this. If so, the aluminum grip frames will start to bring a premium.

I prefer my guns to be built to a "Standard" versus a "Price Point".

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:55 am 
Hunter

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would be very surprised in the rest of Ruger's single action revolvers don't eventually go to zinc grip frames and ugly MIM hammers and triggers. Note that I said ugly. They may, or may not, already be MIM parts; they doubtless will become ugly in time.

If they continue to offer aluminum grip frames, IMHO they will be restricted to states that ban sales of guns with zinc components.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:07 am 
Hawkeye

I've inquired with Ruger about the use of zinc grip frames across the entire single-action line. We may not see a response until after the holiday weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:43 am 
Hawkeye

I believe the answer will be that the zinc alloy grip frame is limited to the new Wrangler series. That's why it has a sprayed finish.

Although Alum alloy grip frames were anodized in a black color since the beginning and for many years, they have been and are now powder coated black for about two decades.

I suspect the melting temp for Z alloy is too low for powder coating and the grip frame would melt. And of course it doesn't have enough alum to be anodized. Besides, Z alloy parts on Ruger's standard product lines would cheapen those products.

We'll see what they say, Ale thx for asking Ruger.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:12 am 
Hawkeye

Hondo44 wrote:
We'll see what they say, Ale thx for asking Ruger.

Your suspicions may very well be right, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:34 am 
Hawkeye

OK, here we go. My inquiry was . . .

"Are all the single-action grip frames going to be made from zinc like that on the Wrangler?"

And I just received this response . . .

"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
"Your Customer Service Issue # is XXXXXXXXX
"No, the other single action grip frames are made of aluminum or stainless steel.
"Ruger Customer Service"

Splitting hairs, you will note that my inquiry was referring to future offerings ("going to be") whereas the response was a present-tense phrasing ("are made"). Make of that what you will.

Guess we'll see. :?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:01 am 
Bearcat

Ale-8(1) wrote:
OK, here we go. My inquiry was . . .

"Are all the single-action grip frames going to be made from zinc like that on the Wrangler?"

And I just received this response . . .

"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
"Your Customer Service Issue # is XXXXXXXXX
"No, the other single action grip frames are made of aluminum or stainless steel.
"Ruger Customer Service"

Splitting hairs, you will note that my inquiry was referring to future offerings ("going to be") whereas the response was a present-tense phrasing ("are made"). Make of that what you will.

Guess we'll see. :?

I seriously doubt the people in customer service know what marketing and the big wigs have in mind for future offerings. :) JMHO though.

It is a race to the bottom, as in most industries.

Edit: And no mention of steel (blued) grip frames.

I prefer my guns to be built to a "Standard" versus a "Price Point".

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:18 am 
Hawkeye

BrewsterII wrote:
I seriously doubt the people in customer service know what marketing and the big wigs have in mind for future offerings. :) JMHO though.

I'd have to agree with that.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am 
Single-Sixer

Isn’t aluminum the planet’s most abundant metal? Why would Ruger jeopardize sales to its most loyal customer base by cheapening its perhaps most iconic product? It’s not like single-action revolvers are the future’s cutting edge and the world is desperate for them. Even if cost rises for aluminum, people who love SA revolvers will pay a bit more to get what they want. Degrading the product will lose sales and increase the market value for used guns. Seems like a, frankly, stupid move. (Although, since I have single sixes, I see no value in a Wrangler, either.)

Perhaps the Wrangler is a trial balloon. If so, don’t buy one! LOL.