Did Ruger ever offer a blued blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kaiser_2

Single-Sixer
....with a stainless grip frame like this?

orig.jpg

A 7.5" BH in 45 colt showed up for a reasonable price, but I am unsure about buying someone's amateur gunsmithing project (which I think this is).

Coogs

Maximum
Not factory........unless an employee gun. There was a .22 Bisley offered, in that configuration, through the RCA around 1985-86 with only 750, or less produced

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Yes ,,,,, kinda,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,not quite .

They made about 300 guns for the Arizona Rangers .
But they had special markings . They did not have the super hammer , the flat top or serrations on the grip frame.

414156734.jpg

414156735.jpg

414156736.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
What you show there is somebody's idea of a custom Ruger ~ SS polished grip frame, grooved front strap, and Super Blackhawk hammer. Looks pretty good to me as is.

Bob Wright

Kaiser_2

Single-Sixer
Got a picture of the actual revolver.

Looks...not good. Think I will pass on this one.

2vvj03a.jpg

Thanks guys.

Kaiser_2

Single-Sixer
Then there is this abomination. I can't figure out why this has been for sale for the past year for $500. :D

blackhawk1111-jpg.1805875

Armybrat

Buckeye
Several years ago I sold my stainless SBH grip frame (round trigger guard) & wood panels (from a 5.5" SBH) to a poster who used them to replace the anodized aluminum parts on his NM Blackhawk.
The two tone result looked mighty handsome, and he seemed to be very pleased.
I had installed a longer SBH Hunter grip frame on my 5.5" gun to replace the standard short factory parts to fit my hand better.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kaiser_2 said:
Got a picture of the actual revolver.

Looks...not good. Think I will pass on this one.

2vvj03a.jpg

Thanks guys.

You don't say what the asking price was. If something less than $300, I'd jump on it for a project gun. Replace the aluminum alloy parts with blued steel, get rid of that red front sight, maybe case harden the frame.

Maybe end up with something like this:

Or this:

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Kaiser_2 said:
....with a stainless grip frame like this?

orig.jpg

A 7.5" BH in 45 colt showed up for a reasonable price, but I am unsure about buying someone's amateur gunsmithing project (which I think this is).

There are no regular production Blackhawk models with stainless grip frames I can think of.
Several special models however as those mentioned above, also including a Colorado centennial 22 Super Single Six.

I believe the 7 1/2" you showed may have its original alum grip frame with all finish removed and polished. Because it doesn't have the bright shiny surface of SS, I'm thinking it's not stainless, but it may be; just not highly polished.

Bob is correct about the photo above, I customized it with a NM Vaquero Montado grooved front strap SS grip frame and diamond checkered hammer when those parts were still available:

Montado special hammer and also showing the top of the grip frame 'ears' around the base of the hammer, fitted to the cyl frame:
orig.jpg

Also with internal lock bypassed:
orig.jpg

Adding a SS grip frame is not hard, easy to find as a take off part. Already polished and much less fitting to the frame work, than a new purchased grip frame which comes fairly rough from the casting.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Yes, the new purchased stainless SBH Hunter grip frame from Brownell's was difficult to fit & polish for a good match to my SBH.
The fellow who bought my original Ruger factory 5.5" SBH stainless grip frame just screwed it on his standard blued Blackhawk for an excellent fit.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I agree that the grip frame is polished aluminum. My first Ruger, an OM .45 Colt Blackhawk, came with the aluminum grip frame and it started to wear pretty good. I polished off the anodizing.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Kaiser_2 said:
Then there is this abomination. I can't figure out why this has been for sale for the past year for $500. :D

blackhawk1111-jpg.1805875

Abomination ? I don't know . Some of it could be better done and the price is high,,,,, but looks like fun and decent bones for a DIY project.
If nothing else it would keep save another unmodified gun from getting the same treatment when the urge struck.

Kaiser_2

Single-Sixer
Guy was asking $400 for the two tone 45 I posted above. Too much for a project gun.

As for the single action snub...how does one go about removing cases from warm loads?