Alaskan .454 Casull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olcop

Single-Sixer
I'm seriously considering buying one, would appreciate any pros or cons, information or advice and opinions, plan to buy in the next 90 days

grobin

Blackhawk
The 454 has an exagerated, though deserved, reputation for nasty recoil-particularly in short barreled relatively light revolvers.
I see a bunch of guys at the range who drastically down load the 454. (Often to low 45lc levels!). If you shoot a 454 with some regularity and don't mind the recoil go with it. Otherwise pick a heavier gun in 44 mag, 45lc, 10mm, ....

Olcop, you really don't indicate your your intended use is, so it's hard to respond with out knowing that. Actually I like the gun, I occasionally even shoot 454's through it. I carried it some in Alaska, and I used Buffalo Bore's 45 Colt 325 grain LBTLFN, which in talking to Tim Sundles and I both agree it would handle anything that the 454 would. See some of the Linebaugh studies when they have their get together shoots, to test and compare. Plus it gives you the opportunity to shoot again and get back on target quicker, which can be a plus with bigger more dangerous game.
Also I find the Alaskan to have less recoil than the full size Super Redhawks and also less torgue on the wrist than the full size gun. I wouldn't say it was unpleasant at all, though I wouldn't shoot 50 rounds at one time. I don't really have any cons. It's typically a more expensive gun than the 44 mag Alaskan as it doesn't have the same mystic as the 454. I think if you struggle with recoil at all, I'd try to get an opportunity to shoot the gun before buying. Not sure how close you are to Idaho but I'd be fine with letting you shoot mine. Obviously if you use lighter loads it's more pleasant to shoot. Anyway you go it's still a substantial investment in cash, so I'd make sure you will be happy with it for your intended purpose.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I have a 480 Alaskan. I would call it a handful, but shootable if you regularly shoot big bore revolvers with a little gusto. With a 454 you can shoot 45 Colt or 454 which is an advantage. I reload all of my 480 ammo, so it can be whatever power I want it to be.
Down side, it is a little heavy for bely carry. Suspenders help.

If you get it, I have a new Murnickle Right Hand, Cross Draw holster in Black that I would part with.

Bob R

olcop

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
Olcop, you really don't indicate your your intended use is, so it's hard to respond with out knowing that. Actually I like the gun, I occasionally even shoot 454's through it. I carried it some in Alaska, and I used Buffalo Bore's 45 Colt 325 grain LBTLFN, which in talking to Tim Sundles and I both agree it would handle anything that the 454 would. See some of the Linebaugh studies when they have their get together shoots, to test and compare. Plus it gives you the opportunity to shoot again and get back on target quicker, which can be a plus with bigger more dangerous game.
Also I find the Alaskan to have less recoil than the full size Super Redhawks and also less torgue on the wrist than the full size gun. I wouldn't say it was unpleasant at all, though I wouldn't shoot 50 rounds at one time. I don't really have any cons. It's typically a more expensive gun than the 44 mag Alaskan as it doesn't have the same mystic as the 454. I think if you struggle with recoil at all, I'd try to get an opportunity to shoot the gun before buying. Not sure how close you are to Idaho but I'd be fine with letting you shoot mine. Obviously if you use lighter loads it's more pleasant to shoot. Anyway you go it's still a substantial investment in cash, so I'd make sure you will be happy with it for your intended purpose.

I don't have any purpose on mind, I've always wanted one and since I have downsized my accumulation, I just have the opportunity to get one, I guess I actually do have a reason, now that I think of it, they seem to be excellent for grizzly and polar bear protection , although, I don't plan to carry it full time.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'm a big fan of the IDEA of the Alaskans, and I do love owning them. I'm short a 5 shot 480, else my collection of the offerings would be complete. Personally, I think the Redhawk Kodiak Backpacker is more of what the Alaskan 44mag really should be, but the 454 and 480 versions are fun. One particular "con" for the Alaskans: they handle like a cantaloupe. It's all in your hand, with no muzzle weight to help hold anything on target. Prior to the Toklat, there was a huge gap for carry size and handling speed between the Alaskan and the 7.5" and 9.5" standard models, so the Alaskan seemed to make sense for a defensive revolver. Now that we have the 5.5" Toklat on the market, my choice is very clear - the Toklat is the far better option for a defensive revolver than the Alaskan. Better sight radius, better pointability, same power, little less muzzle flip, same action. I've found the Toklat to be one of the better handling revolvers, if not best handling big bore revolver I have ever owned. Absolutely love it. The Alaskan is a great revolver, but the Toklat's extra few inches of barrel make a huge difference.

grobin

Blackhawk
Got curiouser about the 480 due to this thread. A friend has one that I got to shoot a little at the range today. It's a 6.5" Bailey and easy shooting. Sight radius is good and muzzle jump minimal. My friend got it for moose as he has a good chance at a tag this year.

As for a backup gun if you can't hit it it really doesn't matter! The 480 is much more shootable than the 454. The longer revolver is a lot more useful than the Alaska!

Mus408

Hunter
I got one just to have a beefy short barrel DA revolver to shoot any hot load .45 Colts I load up.
300 gr. hammer head at 1000 FPS out of it's 2.5 inch barrel is plenty for most things you encounter
in Va. and pleasant to shoot.
My only concern is that it likes to lead up a bit even with a GC type lead bullet and I hear it's due to the large .455 cylinder throats. I mostly shoot plated or JHP bullets thru it now.
mx3qX5z.jpg

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I don't feel the recoil is as bad as some express....
I use 370 grain Alaska ammo in my SRH... and while the recoil is stout it isn't painful. The factory grips seem to do a fair job..

I rarely carry it any more, but that is because of the size of the gun with its 7.5" barrel, not because of the recoil.... I look at it more as a hunting gun that an defence gun.....

Latest posts