Interesting tidbit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Looks like Ruger is now lasering the serial number of at least the New Bearcat on the barrel (in very tiny numerals) in an area close to the frame and under the ejector housing.
Anybody else seen this?
Ruger must have changed their process for headspacing barrels? So they headspace before it is ever on the revolver, laser the number on it and then the barrel is seated to the frame at another station??
Assuming they are doing this for all SA's?
Chet15

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi Chet,

Yes I first observed the barrel # on a .327 Single Seven Birdshead (7/2017), but did not appear to be laser engraved, deeply stamped maybe(?), albeit have not observed on the New Bearcat.

Note: Also much earlier the last 3 digits of the serial number can be found hand engraved near the bottom of the right side of the grip frame, later at the top of the grip frame on the right side, both hidden by the grip.

My earliest grip frame #s observation is on the .45 Montado (2008) at the bottom, 44 Spl Flat Top (2008) at the top, and 44 New Vaquero (2010) at the top.

G2

Hunter
413476420.jpg

This is the first gun I noticed it on, acquired July 2017, 327 birdshead.

Everything since has had it too.

Edit to add link:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=257673

Cholo

Staff member
Hmmm, it seems to me that if your gun has a serial # on the barrel you'll have to ship that part to an FFL. It wouldn't affect me, but I can see it affecting a lot of our Forum members. Am I wrong?

Cholo said:
Hmmm, it seems to me that if your gun has a serial # on the barrel you'll have to ship that part to an FFL. It wouldn't affect me, but I can see it affecting a lot of our Forum members. Am I wrong?

Interesting point. I have just sent an email inquiry to Ruger asking that very question. I'll share whatever response I receive.

:)

Sugar River

Buckeye
Cholo said:

Yes.

OK, I am sharing my correspondence with Ruger up 'til now:

"Earlier today I sent this:
I note that some revolvers now have the serial number marked on the barrel as well as on the main frame. I wonder how the BATFE will regard these barrels if shipped loose as parts. Will these barrels have to be handled through an FFL holder?"

"In response I received this:
Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is XXXXXXXX
We do not have the serial number on the barrels of our revolvers. It is on the frame. We recommend that you contact your local DOJ for information concerning this matter."

"I have photos of Single-Six 816-07581 that clearly show the entire serial number on the barrel, usually hidden by the ejector assembly. I repeat my original question!"

Awaiting another reply. :roll:

Cholo said:

I don't think this will necessarily be an issue, but I'm interested in seeing a response from others more knowledgeable than myself.

Think of various older firearms, including military surplus arms, which have serial markings in different places. Not really my area of interest, but I'm thinking of all the ads I've seen over the years stating, "matching numbers," or "numbers match."

That said... not sure if those parts tend to have complete serial numbers, or maybe just the "last three" a la the Single-Six .22WMR cylinders.

choirboy

Bearcat
I found this useful.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-ammunition-gun-control-act-definitions

Aaaand a response from Ruger Customer Service . . .

"I apologize for any inconvenience. Could you please send pictures to [email protected] for review so I may answer you correctly."

I feel I should ask G2's permission to send his picture to Ruger. What say you, Sir? OK to send?

:)

Edited to add I have G2's approval via PM. Thank you, Sir.

I'll send the pic and see what they have to say about it. :wink:

NikA

Buckeye
In the US, only the frame (as defined by the BATFE) is required to be serialized. That does not prevent other parts from being serialized. As mentioned above, milsurps are frequently serialized in a number of locations in order to minimize parts mixing from the days before fully interchangeable manufacturing, and full or partial serial numbers will often be present on the receiver, barrel, bolt, stock, and magazine parts of these firearms.

In other countries, controlled parts of firearms are different. For instance, my understanding is that in many British Commonwealth countries, any pressure-containing firearm part (e.g., barrel, cylinder, bolt) is controlled, and may have related serial number marking requirements.

I didn't bother reading the entire (now defunct?) UN ATT, but I know tracking of firearms components to the end user was an especially objectionable portion of it. I wonder if Ruger is (1) preemptively attempting to comply with provisions of this treaty or (2) targeting international sales by marking additional components in compliance with laws outside the US.

OK, got the latest reply from Ruger . . .

"I do apologize as I could not view the picture that you sent. I did research farther and we do laser etch the serial number on the barrels , under the ejector housing of the single action revolvers. However as the barrel is a factory fit part, we don't ship handgun barrels loose as parts. Thank you."

Well, that really doesn't answer our curiosity too well, but I guess it does answer my question as I worded it. Ruger won't ship barrels anyway, so they're covered. The couple of posts above would seem to indicate that BATFE only cares about the main frame so far as shipping requirements are concerned. So for those of us liable to get involved in shipping "parted out" barrels bearing serial numbers, I guess you have to do what you think best. I'm no lawyer nor do I play one on the internet.

JMHO :mrgreen:

hittman

Staff member
Maybe this question is best taken to the BATF?

Ruger doing what they're doing is a way for them to determine if a gun was modified post production. Don't know if Ruger has a problem with modified guns but ..... who knows.

chet15

Hawkeye
The barrel is a component that has nothing to do with firing the gun (i.e. firing mechanism).
Look where the serial number is (the one that matters) that is on all modern firearms.
Chet15

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The fact a manufacturer additionally serializes extraneous parts attached to a firearm receiver does not create a new firearm. WTH are folks really thinking to even postulate that? Ruger isn't the first to have done this, and isn't the only one doing it.

Just silly.

Point is that it's a relatively new thing with Ruger. In fact, we have seen evidence that the serial number also appears on the grip frame, hidden by the grip panels, on certain revolvers. Anything that potentially affects how certain firearms features are seen by the BATFE is worthy of discussion. After all, who would ever have suspected that a certain plastic stock configuration could somehow have been redefined as a machine gun?

Varminterror

Blackhawk
There is absolutely no reason for the ATF to change any position such a grip frame or barrel suddenly becomes its own Title 1 firearm simply because a manufacturer stamped a number onto it.

Calm down, Chicken Little. It's an inventory tracking mechanism, not a big brother conspiracy to make firearms unobtainable. He11, by the ATF definitions for acceptable marking practices, any hidden serial number is unacceptable anyway.