RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:55 pm 
Single-Sixer

I got it. $363 out the door. I’ll clean it a bit and post pics this weekend. Looks very sharp. I figured it was the gunshop owners personal weapon and I was right. We had talked about the Six guns before and I knew he had a Security Six. He still keeps a Speed Six under the counter of his gunshop.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:34 pm 
Hawkeye

kbm6893 wrote:
I got it. $363 out the door. I’ll clean it a bit and post pics this weekend. Looks very sharp. I figured it was the gunshop owners personal weapon and I was right. We had talked about the Six guns before and I knew he had a Security Six. He still keeps a Speed Six under the counter of his gunshop.

Good Job! You will enjoy shooting/carrying that baby.
gramps

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:24 am 
Single-Sixer

This deal is almost too good. This a discontinued model and the factory may not be able to offer service. However they are stoutly built and never break! Just an awareness thing, keep area under the extractor star very clean and dry. Even unfired powder granules under the star can cause the gun to bind. Also, if you get adventurous and take the gun apart it might not go back together if there is the slightest speck of dirt. I found this out when I took mine apart and could not get back together. I called the factory and they put me through to a supervisor on the floor who talked talked to several other workers. Their immediate advice was to look for the smallest speck of dirt that I might have overlooked. Sure enough, I found the tiny particle and the parts were easy to assemble. These are beautifully made, sturdy handguns .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:33 am 
Hawkeye

kbm6893 wrote:

:shock: Just had to go check Gunbroker (highest place in town :? ) and some go up to $900 and no bids. Plus shipping and receiving add another $70 or so. Yup, ya done good!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am 
Single-Sixer

That was a great deal @ $360.

I paid $195 for one 40 years ago. In today's dollars, that amount would be $723.

Bayou52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 am 
Hawkeye

These may be the most under valued revolvers out there and they are still fairly readily available due to Ruger selling so many of them. For my money the Security Six is certainly one of the best all round revolvers ever made.

A 4 inch Security Six was the first Ruger I ever bought and that was back around 1977 or 1978 I think. I paid $ 212.00 plus sales tax back then for it new in the box from a local gun store in Houston. I have been a Ruger fan ever since. At that time I had no idea what a fine revolver I was getting for my money. They have not gone up in value like, some S&W or some Colt revolvers, but that is a good thing if you are thinking of buying one. LOL

Supply and demand is the only valid reason I can of for this difference in let's call it "collector value". Ruger literally sold millions of these fine revolvers so the supply has always been plentiful, which keeps the collector value down, but that has nothing to do with the quality of these fine revolvers.

So if you are a collector you might go for something a little more rare. If you are a shooter then the Ruger Security Six is a great gun for you.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” George Orwell

“A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes” – Mark Twain