Is anybody using Hogue wooden grips for Blackhawks?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I noticed that Hogue is now offering these. I am wondering how well they fit.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/single-action/new-vaquero

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Had these on for 20 years. Don't know what the finish is, but it's very durable.

ny5KG2c.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Bob Wright said:
How are their wood grips finished? Oil finish? Impregnated?

Bob Wright

For whatever its worth, I just got a reply from Hogue Grips to the effect that solid wood grips are indeed solid wood of the species advertised. Laminated grips are advertised as such.

Smooth wood grips are waxed and buffed with a carnauba wax. Checkered grips are finished with tung oil.

Speaks of quality to me.

Bob Wright

Enigma

Hunter
I bought a set of their ebony grips for an XR3-Red grip frame, and was not at all happy with them. They were significantly thinner than the factory grips, and the fit wasn't very good, either. They were rehomed very quickly.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Sounds like it is luck of the draw as far as fitting goes. I have a pair of their Bisley grips that were an 'OK' fit but with visible gaps around the frame. Those grips have lived in my garage for the past 3 years.

Enigma said:
I bought a set of their ebony grips for an XR3-Red grip frame, and was not at all happy with them. They were significantly thinner than the factory grips, and the fit wasn't very good, either. They were rehomed very quickly.

If they were substandard, I would hope they were returned to the manufacturer.

I've been so pleased with mine, I'm discouraged to hear other folks haven't been so pleased.