Blackhawk with real ivory grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectorruger

Single-Sixer
What do you think a 3 number serial number Blackhawk with nice finish and with original grips and a set of real ivory grips might be worth? Before you jump on me for no pictures I can never get them to work. Take my word that it is nice.

contender

Ruger Guru
Not only caliber & barrel length,,,,, but a true NRA grading guideline can seriously affect the value. A 98% gun vs. a 95% gun makes a big difference. And the ivory grips,, factory or not? A set of factory ivory is worth a lot more than aftermarket ones. Box, papers, shipper all affect value.

Pictures are a must for serious buyers & evaluation. If you can't get it to work,, then email them to a member who can post them. close-ups & detailed pics are important.

True, but given the info I requested we can make a good preliminary estimation, pointing out that condition is everything, as we always do.

We can easily refer to the RENE Price Guide and come up with a "valuation" of certain guns and peripherals. That's what the Price Guide is for.

pete44ru

Hunter
Pete44ru said:
collectorruger said:
What do you think a 3 number serial number Blackhawk with nice finish and with original grips and a set of real ivory grips might be worth?

FWIW, "nice" is not a true description of "condition" for evaluation - it's an opinion.

As indicated above, an accurate estimation of the remaining percentage (%) of remaining ORIGINAL finish, and the authenticity of the Ivories as being factory, are paramount for an informed evaluation.

Also as indicated, several board members (myself included) would be happy to post your (good) pics for you.

EDITED TO REMOVE ASKING PRICE REQUEST. IF IT BECOMES FOR SALE IT MUST BE LISTED IN THE CLASSIFIEDS FORUM.

Huh :?: :?: :?: The OP was asking for a value, as he is considering buying - not selling.

I just asked the asking price, to determine if the price was right or too high/low.

IT'S UP TO THE OP TO DECIDE IF THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH OR LOW, NOT US. ALL WE CAN DO IS PROVIDE WHAT CURRENT VALUATIONS SEEM TO BE AND LEAVE THE DECISIONS TO HIM.

Auction house just gave me an estimate of 27* ( three digit, high polish, new like factory) with ivory grips ( that have provenance to the factory) at $7000 to $10000

I know - wide spread, auction pricing expectation

edited to add zeros - because NO, they did not offer $7.00 (grin)

OK, just for fun, the RENE Price Guide shows three-digit OM Blackhawks ranging from $880 to $2625, depending on caliber and other considerations, in 95-98% condition.

Ivory grips are shown at $2125 if of proven original Ruger provenance. Condition would be of serious consideration here as well.

These are what are considered to be what a serious collector might pay for something. Note the difference with the "auction house estimates" which will always start out high with no guarantee.

And not everyone will agree on exactly what 95-98% means . . . but it beats "nice".

:)

yes, not so endeared with ANY auction house, know of several locally that folks have taken their Rugers to for "auction" and the folks did not even get back what they had into the cost of the guns,,,,I know for a fact that the one local to us here in NE Ohio, and good friends son, got a mint old model 45 convertible for less than $500, so , so much for auction houses , as well as the fees, both seller and buyers, again, a shop closed down here in Mentor ,Ohio the entire contents went to auction just east of here, and the owners wife( the WIDOW) got not even half of any of the values, how about brand new shotgun barrels for $15 a piece, new ,some still on the blister pack!!!!!!ammo went for dirt cheap , and T/Cs Encores went for a little over $100.I feel sorry for the family,,,,screw the auction house,,,and I will not even go into the other one that "lost" the live auction business, they "played games" :( :?
you want a honest value of the gun in question, NEED to see and know the overall condition ( Let alone that it is ORIGINAL) and just what the ivory grips may have come from factory or secondary market....many variables, and YES " opinions" :wink:
FMC reminds me of the day Pop ( Bob C) was sitting with me at the Berea ,Ohio gun show years ago, and I was brought a NICE old model 357 mag flatop, by another "dealer" and wanted to see if I had original woods grips for it and I said why not sell it just the way it is?? so he sold us the gun,,,,,I kept the factory ivory grips and Bob said he wanted the gun, "as is", less the grips, so he gave me my money back,,,,,,,,$575..........and two other people were standing there in disbelief, and can vouch for this...my wife still has her "free" pair of factory ivory grips, and jut maybe the family still has that early flatop,,I recall in the #17,000 range???? I'm getting old, as to the exact serial number... :roll: 8)

collectorruger

Single-Sixer
Barrel is 6.5 and .357 caliber. I have never had a real set of ivory grips in all my years how do I tell if they are factory? The gun is mine and I'm going to sell. I can send pictures with my phone to someone that would he willing to post them for me.

OK, that's a 1955-era gun when ALL were 4-5/8" variety. If it currently has a 6-1/2" barrel it essentially has to have been re-barreled at some point. There's a remote possibility it was done at The Factory but it's more likely to have been an after-market effort by a gunsmith or whomever. An "as shipped" 4-5/8" three-digit gun lists at $1575 in the Price Guide. With the longer barrel, it's anybody's guess how a collector would value it.

A factory letter would be essential in establishing how the gun left The Factory. And photos would be wonderful here.

Verrrrrry interesting!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Taterman

Buckeye
collectorruger said:
Barrel is 6.5 and .357 caliber. I have never had a real set of ivory grips in all my years how do I tell if they are factory? The gun is mine and I'm going to sell. I can send pictures with my phone to someone that would he willing to post them for me.

I can post some pics for you. Just PM me.

Taterman said:
collectorruger said:

I can post some pics for you. Just PM me.

A close-up top view of the front sight would be of particular interest.

:)

CraigC

Hawkeye
frustrated middle child said:
Auction house just gave me an estimate of 27* ( three digit, high polish, new like factory) with ivory grips ( that have provenance to the factory) at $7000 to $10000

I know - wide spread, auction pricing expectation

edited to add zeros - because NO, they did not offer $7.00 (grin)
Seems a wee bit optimistic but they want your money.

Glad you were able to sell it, but will we still be able to see your pictures? That is an extremely interesting example of the early history of the Flattop .357 Blackhawks.

:) :) :)