RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Just another photo - my New Model Bearcat converted to .22 Magnum by Hamilton Bowen some years back (Sack Peterson elk stocks).

Fun walking around gun. I wore it to a wedding in Lincoln County a few years back . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:25 am 
Buckeye

Well, I finally rented a reamer in .22 Magnum. I took my new (to me) stainless .22 LR cylinder, put it in the vise and went to town. It took over 2 hours to do all 6 chambers. My tap handle didn't fit, so I dug through my wrenches and found one that would. I got done about 10 PM last night.

I used 4D Reamer Rental. My advice to anyone that does this is to rent their handles also. I probably would have done the job faster if I had rented one, but I assumed (yeah, I know what that means :D) my tap handle would fit.

I also rechambered two .32 H&R Magnum cylinders to .327 Federal Magnum, but that's another story. I used a wrench on that reamer too. :(

Last edited by Muley Gil on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:19 am 
Hawkeye

Sounds like you were busy! Good Job! Now about those .327 conversions? 8)
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:35 am 
Buckeye

gramps wrote:
Sounds like you were busy! Good Job! Now about those .327 conversions? 8)
gramps

I have a Cimarron (Uberti) Model P Jr, a 7/8 sized single action, with two (2) cylinders, one in .32-20 and one in .32 H&R Magnum. I rechambered the .32 Mag to .327 FM. While the cylinder is a bit larger, which gives thicker chamber walls, than a Ruger Single Six, I'm not 100% sure about the safety of the conversion. I know that Single Sixes have been converted to .327 safely, but I'm still on the wall about the Model P Jr. I may just try some upper end .32 Magnum loads, using .327 brass. If I doubt the wisdom of using .327 factory ammo, I can always get another cylinder or just leave the .32-20 cylinder installed. I won't sell it, but I don't want an heir getting hurt.

The 2nd cylinder is a S&W M16-4. I have a 6" .22 Jet barrel that has been bored and re-rifled to .32 and I also have a M15 that is fixin' to see some changes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Muley Gil wrote:

I have a Cimarron (Uberti) Model P Jr, a 7/8 sized single action, with two (2) cylinders, one in .32-20 and one in .32 H&R Magnum. I rechambered the .32 Mag to .327 FM. While the cylinder is a bit larger, which gives thicker chamber walls, than a Ruger Single Six, I'm not 100% sure about the safety of the conversion. I know that Single Sixes have been converted to .327 safely, but I'm still on the wall about the Model P Jr. I may just try some upper end .32 Magnum loads, using .327 brass. If I doubt the wisdom of using .327 factory ammo, I can always get another cylinder or just leave the .32-20 cylinder installed. I won't sell it, but I don't want an heir getting hurt.

The 2nd cylinder is a S&W M16-4. I have a 6" .22 Jet barrel that has been bored and re-rifled to .32 and I also have a M15 that is fixin' to see some changes. :)

I wouldn't worry about the 327 in the model P jr. Even if it fails it won't be catastrophic.

The 327 mod 15 project is cool. The only difficulty is the shroud on the rebored 22 jet to 32 barrel; the barrel shroud will overhang the front face of the frame. A model 19 frame will work however.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:01 pm 
Buckeye

I realize the M15 isn't the best platform for this conversion, but I haven't found an affordable M19. I don't want to convert my nice, minty 4" nickel M19. :)

If you lived closer, I'd let you test fire the Model P Jr. :D

Gil

Hondo44 wrote:
Muley Gil wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the 327 in the model P jr. Even if it fails it won't be catastrophic.

The 327 mod 15 project is cool. The only difficulty is the shroud on the rebored 22 jet to 32 barrel; the barrel shroud will overhang the front face of the frame. A model 19 frame will work however.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:30 pm 
Hawkeye

I would test fire it for you!

I have a Mod P Jr. in .38 Spl and have shot some 38 +Ps and 38 Super +Ps (36,000) thru it which aren't the same pressure level as the 327 FM (45,000 CUP). But the cyl walls on the 38 are a lot thinner than the 32. Of course Ruger uses chrome moly. I don't know what Uberti uses but I do know that Cimarron specifies the best quality gun that Uberti can produce.

We'll have to call Uberti and find out what steel they use now, especially after being purchased by Beretta some years ago.

I'm shooting 327 converted Ruger Single Sixes I did 10 years ago now, with no ill effects or loosening up.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm 
Buckeye

Well, I got a chance to shoot the Bearcat with the .22 Mag cylinder today. I didn't have time to set up my 25 yard target, so I shot into the dirt bank next to my garage. I can go out to about 15 yards there, but elected to do 10 yards, since it was getting on to dark and I had been cutting grass., trying to beat the rain. My right shoulder joint needs replacing and I can't extend all the way for a good Isosceles stance.

Have I made enough excuses for poor shooting yet? :D :D

Anyway, I shot 5 shots, checked the targets and then shot 6 shots. Other than a couple of called shots, both groups could be covered with a hand. Yeah, at 10 yards, all of the shots should have been covered with a quarter. See excuses above. :) At least it went "BANG" every time I jerked, uh squeezed, the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:52 pm 
Hawkeye

While your shoulder is hurting, shoot left handed for accuracy. You might be surprised how well you can do. All your shooting skills easily transfer to your left hand. If you're right eye dominant and shoot with both eyes open, close your right eye. Bench rest and shoot left handed when you get the chance to see how well the 22 mag will do.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 pm 
Buckeye

Hondo44 wrote:
While your shoulder is hurting, shoot left handed for accuracy. You might be surprised how well you can do. All your shooting skills easily transfer to your left hand. If you're right eye dominant and shoot with both eyes open, close your right eye. Bench rest and shoot left handed when you get the chance to see how well the 22 mag will do.

Well, I can grip and squeeze the trigger with my left hand, but I still can't get my locked up right arm into a solid shooting postion. During my police qualifications over the years, I always had to shoot left handed in addition to shooting right (strong) handed. I could always count on throwing a couple of shots out of the group when shooting southpaw. :(