RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:51 am 
Blackhawk

foxtrapper wrote:
Seems folks with the ss 3” have to pick out the empties,the extra 1/2” in blue solves that. I’m waiting for the unfluted 3 1/2” in stainless!!

On my Shopkeeper, I turn the cylinder ever so slightly when ejecting empties. This allows the ejector rod to gain purchase on the mouth of the cartridge case, and push it out that way. Works great for me, on my revolver.

As long as the ejector rod has a straight 90-degree cut on the end, it should work. If the end of the ejector rod has been chamfered or tapered, this is not likely to work as well, if at all.

Personally, I don’t care for the looks of the Birdshead’s “crescent” style ejector rod head. While not a deal breaker, I also don’t find it very comfortable in use.

I have an extra stainless ejector rod here (Thank You, RF Classifieds!). I plan to trim that to length, and install it on my Birdshead. As long as I leave the trimmed edge square and sharp, I should have no problem ejecting empties by the using the case mouth.

Hmmm... maybe I should see if a Bullseye or other style ejector rod is available. Some of my New Model Single-Sixes have an ejector rod head that somewhat follows the contours of the barrel and ejector rod housing. A little bit nicer looking, just a subtle detail to the discriminating eye.

Or, I could just go shoot some more tin cans with it, just the way it is! :P

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 am 
Blackhawk

Yeah, the crescent-shaped ejector rod head (designed to slide over the cylinder pin) seems flimsy and is kind of ugly. Ruger could have enclosed the forward end, making it cup-shaped like half a thimble.
I hadn’t thought of changing to another ejector rod.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:29 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm thinking of having a Bearcat, bored to 22 magnum. BUT... with the wrangler coming out, it might be a better culprit to to have bored to 22 magnum. Does anyone have any pro's or con's they can give me to help me decide?

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 pm 
Hawkeye

BP Jack,

I have an original Lightweight Single Six. This was a 1st variation Lightweight in filthy, sorry shape with virtually no finish left when found and won it on Gunbroker for $195. The original Martin Hardcoat alloy cylinder was apparently replaced with a steel cylinder when it was retrofitted with a transfer bar safety by Ruger. The bottom of the main frame is stamped with an 'R' under the grip frame. I re-converted back with OM action parts. It took me extensive flat polishing to realign seams and remove dings.

I took a spare OM fluted Mag cyl (shown above), fit it to the frame, and have shot it over 10 years now with no ill affects to the alloy frame. Rather than go thru the work/expense of reaming the cyl, I'd pick up an OM mag cyl if you like a fluted cyl, or a post 1976 NM mag cyl if you like non-fluted and fit to the Wrangler frame. Then you'd have a convertible Wrangler.

I'd also install a standard NM trigger/hammer w/o the voids of the MIM hammer and trigger. And install a NM steel XR3 grip frame or OM alum alloy XR3 size grip frame to replace the zinc GF (the OM alloy GF will need the trigger slot widened for the NM wide trigger and the cyl stop spring hole drilled).

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 pm 
Hawkeye

That's what I like about you Hondo. You make me think. Wrangler it is!!!

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Armybrat wrote:
Yeah, the crescent-shaped ejector rod head (designed to slide over the cylinder pin) seems flimsy and is kind of ugly. Ruger could have enclosed the forward end, making it cup-shaped like half a thimble.
I hadn’t thought of changing to another ejector rod.

The Colt .22 peacemaker ejector knob makes a nice replacement especially for the Ruger Bearcat, also the Single Six models. And you could drill out the back like a thimble as you mentioned. Shown on my Super Single Six .32 mag:

For Ruger large frames or even the Single Six, I use the Colt SAA ejector (or one from the many clones is cheaper). On Vaq .45:

And here's my method to get the Ruger's crescent button or Colt button to nest up tight under the barrel when at rest, instead of dangling like the Ruger crescent button. Because the Ruger housing slot is straight and not curved like Colt's, I corrected the way the crescent button, Ruger or Colt didn't tuck up tight against the barrel when at rest. It also works for the Ruger crescent button and old round button which also kind of dangles. It may not bother some owners but it's simple to do if it does.

I grind and polish a 'cam' curve in the end of the rod/button as shown below (Colts thread together, Rugers are riveted and may need slight re-peening). The curve must 'nest' or align with the curve of the housing attachment screw when the button is up tight against the barrel in a Ruger straight slot housing. The curved surface of the end of the rod contacts the screw under tension of the return spring and it will “nest” on the screw by "camming" or turning the rod and button tight up against the barrel. Works for the Colt 'bullseye' round ejector button as well.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 am 
Hawkeye

The sharp edge of the ejector rod head was a deal breaker for me!
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm 
Hunter

Are all Bearcat cylinders the same?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 pm 
Hawkeye

eveled wrote:
Are all Bearcat cylinders the same?

It's important for you to read the thread; see post #2.

No, New Bearcat cyls are longer for the 22 Mag albeit only chambered for a short while before being discontinued.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:37 pm 
Hunter

Thanks Hondo. I missed that part of the post. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 pm 
Hawkeye

eveled wrote:
Thanks Hondo. I missed that part of the post. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Don't feel alone, we've all been there, done that.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 am 
Hunter

Technical issues aside. It is funny to me. That I want a magnum Bearcat when my magnum cylinders for single sixes are almost never used.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:39 pm 
Hawkeye

Funny, yes. There's just no explaining what can "blow our skirt up" sometimes! Maybe it's the uniqueness of the different configuration? I gave up trying to understand why I like some things anymore. If I like it and want it, I just go with the flow and buy it (or make it).

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm 
Blackhawk

Hondo44 wrote:
Funny, yes. There's just no explaining what can "blow our skirt up" sometimes! Maybe it's the uniqueness of the different configuration? I gave up trying to understand why I like some things anymore. If I like it and want it, I just go with the flow and buy it (or make it).

It’s funny, I tend to like long barreled handguns, or snubbies. A nice useful length like 4-6 inches? Minimal interest. A snubby w/no sight radius, or a Buntline type barrel? “Be still, my heart!” :mrgreen:

Around 2004 or 2005, I had a discussion with “Squeak”- my favorite cantankerous, crotchety LGS owner. I wanted him to order me a KMK10 (10” stainless MKII), factory drilled/tapped. I wanted to get one before they became “unobtainium.”

He didn’t want to order one for me. I told him why I “needed” one- handgun silhouette, small game hunting, blah, blah, blah. He insisted that there was nothing I could do with the KMK10 that I couldn’t do with a KMK678GC (“Slabside”).

I told him that was true, with the possible exception of the longer sight radius for IHMSA. In an act of desperation, I told him, “Look- I already have a Slabside. I think the ten-inchers are cool, and I don’t have one yet.” He said, “Oh, OK... in that case, I’ll order one up for you.” :P

I miss Squeak. He was one of a kind. He’s been gone about ten years, now. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:57 pm 
Hunter

I agree on really short or really long. My favorite mk2 is a four inch bull barrel. I wish I had a ten inch to go with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next