New Super GP-100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Check out Ruger's new Super GP-100 on their website. An 8 shot 5.5" barrel 357 Magnum. I assume released today at the NRA Convention. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob said:
Check out Ruger's new Super GP-100 on their website. An 8 shot 5.5" barrel 357 Magnum. I assume released today at the NRA Convention. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Ruger's newest 'custom shop' release....interesting revolver, LCR looking cylinder; sleeve and shroud barrel; Super Redhawk internals....pricey though.

Also, other intro's today....www.ruger.com

They can call it the "Super GP100" if they wish, but I'll betcha it's on a version of the Super Redhawk frame! The GP100 and the Super Redhawk have always shared the same action, so saying they used the Super Redhawk's action in this thing is disingenuous altogether.

Remember, they ran into "crowding" problems when they brought out the ill-fated seven-shot GP100.

It's a "name game".

And it may be a nice gun.

https://www.ruger.com/products/superGP100/specSheets/5065.html

gunman42782

Hunter
I might be interested if it was in .44 Mag. I have asked for years for a Redhawk with the GP lockwork and grip stud.

gunman42782 said:
I might be interested if it was in .44 Mag. I have asked for years for a Redhawk with the GP lockwork and grip stud.

That would essentially be a Super Redhawk without the funny extended frame front.

Interesting thought. Ruger is trying some new stuff, maybe this is it.

hittman

Staff member
It's a very rare occasion I buy a brand new gun. Seems that trend will continue.

No doubt many will be interested in it though. I've got enough revolvers to shoot now.

Seems I'm the opposite of most folks here ..... that goofy peg grip design is hideous. :lol:

hittman said:
It's a very rare occasion I buy a brand new gun. Seems that trend will continue.

No doubt many will be interested in it though. I've got enough revolvers to shoot now.

Seems I'm the opposite of most folks here ..... that goofy peg grip design is hideous. :lol:

I have always liked the more "traditional" grip frame arrangement of the Redhawk, but the "single spring" action not so much. The "monopeg" thingy on the GP100 and Super Redhawk at least use a more conventional two-spring action, and you can get a bunch of different grips for it.

All JMHO of course. To each his own.

:mrgreen:

gunman42782

Hunter
The Redhawk is the one gun that I could NEVER find a grip that felt right in my hand. That's why I like the "goofy peg grip", as there are several grips that feel great with that arrangement. I don't like the Super, as the barrel looks like a pipe sticking out of it. The Redhawk looks like a more normal revolver, but as mentioned the single spring made it hard to get a good trigger pull, while the two spring arrangement of the Super and GP make it pretty easy to get a trigger pull you want. So, all in all, I am somewhat excited about this announcement, with the exception of I have very little use for a 8 shot .357! And I think the barrel shroud is ugly, but I could live with it, if it was a .44 mag. JMHO

s4s4u

Hunter
gunman42782 said:

Still waiting for this gun as well, but in 45 Colt with a 6" barrel.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well everybody has their opinion on what aspect they don't like. Here is mine: I like everything about this gun except the goofy peg grip.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
This new GP100 is another example of a gun I have no interest in. But I'm glad a manufacturer is putting out a new revolver design.

rammerjammer said:
This new GP100 is another example of a gun I have no interest in. But I'm glad a manufacturer is putting out a new revolver design.

Yes, particularly in view of the fact that it appears they were able to do it with a little reworking of an existing design. Some clever work there.

:mrgreen:

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's not the exact configuration I wanted or even something I'm interested in but many of us have been asking for an SRH with a standard Redhawk barrel for years. Hopefully it's just the first of many more to come.

Is it meant to compete with some of the non traditional Smith and Wesson revolvers? Like their Performance Center 686? One of theirs has some sort of weighted barrel shroud.

I like it, but as others have mentioned, the peg grip does look very odd and out of place. It's the first thing I noticed.

I kind of looks like Ruger is going for that "race gun" effect in the looks dept. I hope the gun is as accurate as can be to keep up with the looks.

I do hope there are more options to come. I'd buy one, except I just bought a Blackhawk yesterday.

I've always thought the regular GP-100 too heavy and chunky for my preference, preferring the Security Six sized revolvers for daily carry.

So a chunkier, heavier Super GP-100 isn't really of interest to me. Especially at over $1000 price point.

"Everybody to their own taste, said the old woman as she kissed the cow"

Latest posts