357/9mm Blackhawk "UGB" ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yes! I finally found a convertible Blackhawk I could afford. I found a 5 1/2 inch barrel 357/9mm Blackhawk. It was sold used, but hasn't been fired. The box and all the paperwork came with it. On the box, next to the serial number it has UGB stamped on it.

UGB stands for "Blemish" doesn't it? There isn't anything stamped on the gun next to the serial number just the numbers 521-43xxx. I'm not sure when it was made, but the manual has a 2017 copyright. The gun does have some shelf wear, but not any blemishes I can see.

It does seem to have a nice trigger, and the cylinder rotates very smoothly. All in all, the fit and finish is very nice. The blueing is smooth and even in color. And the grips, while they don't fit the best, are actually really comfortable. They are very thin and really feel nice.

I think it might be a distributor exclusive. I only think this because of the barrel length and the white grips.

And, I just checked, with a magnet. It has a steel grip frame. That surprised me, I thought it would be alloy.I guess that's why it feels so heavy.

As I sit here and type this, the revolver does cycle extremely smoothly, and the weight isn't bad, but more noticeable. I actually think I like the weight.

Maybe the ill fitting grips are the blemish? :D :D :D I plan to get something nicer regardless. See, ya'll have ruined me. Had I never found the rugerforum, these grips would have been just fine. Now I NEED something exotic, with a fit beyond compare.
vgB7Mb3h.jpg

1evOFghh.jpg

9cb6VHnh.jpg

Actually, after posting the above review, and in thinking about the grips. I got a screwdriver and loosened the grips to see if I could adjust them any.

I know in very often, Ruger gets a bad reputation for having really poor fit on their grips. And true, in the past I've had grips which are just terrible. However, these grips are actually, very, very nice. The fit is just about as good as can be expected.

I took some more pictures to show, that, yes, the grips do indeed fit quite well. I suppose, just sitting for a length of time, they got shifted around. The screw was on pretty tight, and I didn't re tighten it as much.

I hope this makes it clear, I'm very happy with these grips. But still, I think I have another gun I'm going to use these grips for, and then get something exotic for this one.

qQRPeEah.jpg

u01TBLYh.jpg

AIWUh79h.jpg

VjGT9tbh.jpg

Aging can be enhanced by by using coarse steel wool or appropriate grit sandpaper, in one direction top to bottom. It provides microscopic grooves to give the appearance of grain. The more you use them, the better they look.

Sugar River

Buckeye
You have a Flattop which explains the steel grip frame. These were a Lipsey exclusive.
"Used Gun Bank" are guns loaned out to a gun writer or shown at a trade show and Ruger then sells them as "used" though they are pretty much new.

Thanks!

Then is it possible this gun had its action slicked up by Ruger before being sent out to a writer or show? It just seems so much nicer than any other new Blackhawk I've bought. Heck, it feels nicer than some single actions I've shot a lot.

Sugar River said:
"Used Gun Bank" are guns loaned out to a gun writer or shown at a trade show and Ruger then sells them as "used" though they are pretty much new.

Now there's a piece of information of which I was not aware.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good score Kevin! You mention exotic woods, such as? I think Holly would look fine as would some kind of bone, stag or elk. I have seen some mighty fine Walnut too. Choices my friend. Have fun!
gramps

Thanks!
I took it to the range today. It had the 9mm cylinder in it. I thought I grabbed the 357 cylinder, but didn't. I picked up a 22 magnum instead. Oh well. The gun shoots 9 mm very, very well. It's an easy low recoil round, especially with the weight of the steel grip frame.

And yes Gramps, I do like American Holly. It turns that mild shade of creamy yellow. If I do also like Elk grips too.

I'm going to shoot it a few more times before deciding. Perhaps the gun will decide and tell me which grips are best.

Jeepnik said:
UGB. That's the nice thing about this forum. I learn something everyday. I always figure when you quit learning you either know everything or are dead (which is really the same thing).

UGB guns can have been sent to writers or been show samples but they could have been loaned to employees, used as sales samples, etc etc....I have purchased many UGB guns over the years, only one was marked as a Shot Show display gun, the others can be so marked for any number of reasons. For example, I purchased a very early GSR that was one of the rifles used at Gunsite to introduce the rifle to the firearm press. It has a different prefix and is/was the earliest serial number known last I checked.

UGB has taken the place of the "*" or "U" or "S" markings on the firearms themselves, as seems that wasn't A lean process....

Kevin said:
Are UGB marked guns worth more then? I wonder if there is anyway to track down where the gun went after it left the Ruger factory?

In general no, unless you are able to get prototypes, one offs, etc that are so unique as to add value...that is my opinion.

Others may or may not agree...the pucker factor may apply :lol: :lol:

hittman

Staff member
I'd say UGB is more of a novelty.

That being said ..... I've got a few "D" guns and an "S" so never turn my nose up at the odd-ball stuff.

Latest posts