vintage holster repair question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevep1954

Bearcat
i have a heiser holster from my grandfather that he 'modified' to something that worked for him at the time. now i would like to use it for my colts and colt copies. i am looking for suggestions on how to fasten the remaining flap of leather to form a loop on the holster in a way that would not leave something metal inside the holster that would scratch the gun. i would be open to paying someone to repair it so i can use it on my belt if possible. it doesn't need to be brought back to original just make the loop secure so i can use it on my belt. any suggestions?
414193879.jpg

414193878.jpg

414193877.jpg

414193876.jpg

414193875.jpg

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Take holster to a shoe repair or harness shop. Ask if they'll sew the loop. Use the belt you will sling it from to gauge stitching so holster doesn't wallow.
David Bradshaw

You could have the loose flap jiffy riveted to a strap that will go around the outside of the holster and snap together at the front, like the old Hunter holsters. In a fashion similar to this:

]
6-D0-D41-F2-2-F0-F-4383-9-E0-E-8-A300-A3-DC9-FA.jpg

]
43-C08-CA1-7-B55-4013-88-AF-256-E174-D53-AD.jpg

The rivets dont go tbrough the body of the holster, just the flap and strap. The boggest problem you may have there is the amount of neatsfoot oil in the leather. It may have softened it excessively.

I'd be willing to bet that your holster was originally set up with a strap and buckle or snap just like I'm suggesting, based on its shape.

stevep1954

Bearcat
arfmel said:
You could have the loose flap jiffy riveted to a strap that will go around the outside of the holster and snap together at the front, like the old Hunter holsters. In a fashion similar to this:

thanks, this is what i will try.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Difficult situation to rectify. You can't get in there to stitch it without disassembling the mainseam. If the mainseam is not glued, it could be opened and redone by hand afterwards. The flap can't be riveted down because as you noted, the rivet would rub the gun on the inside. Although it's possible to glue some pigskin over the rivet head. I would suggest you get it to a professional that is well versed in this sort of thing. It'd be a shame to ruin grandpa's grand old floral carved Heiser.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Steve,

I also believe the holster had a strap around it as arfmel posted. If you put a snap or buckel on the strap, you can remove it or place it on the belt w/o undoing your belt.

Also I notice a harness rivet holding the retaining strap to the holster. That rivet is likely showing inside the holster pocket waiting to scratch your gun. You can remove the rivet and re-attach the strap to the underneath side of the folded flap just below the belt loop area.

Dye the new pieces to match the holster.