Bent extractor rod

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tancred

Bearcat
Just got my first Security-Six yesterday. It may not be my last. I noticed two things that concern me a little. First, the extractor rod is slightly bent. Second, I felt burnt powder blow-back on my face a couple of times when I shot it (I shot about 30 rounds). Should I do anything about these issues? I've heard spare parts are hard to find, so I assume I would have to straighten the extractor rod myself. I'm guessing I'd have to send the gun to someone if there is a serious timing issue.

Thanks,
Tancred

contender

Ruger Guru
An extractor rod may be found & replaced. it just may take a little time. Numrich & a few other places may have one.
Get ahold of a member here,, RoninPa to assist you in repairs etc. He's the DA man for them. He collects, shoots & repairs them a lot.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
My first Security Six did that,too. 6" SS. 1980 model. Not every shot, but I felt that. I have a blue 6" that I've never felt that spray. Unburnt powder? One thing I did to all of mine, reamed throats to .358". I use Missouri Bullets, coated and they were close to 359" dia. I do know that the stainless 6" has not done that since. It annoyed me and I left it in the safe for many years.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I cannot imagine what opening throats had to do with it. I did it to shoot the cast, coated slugs. I always wanted to use a range rod to check alignment.

Tancred,
Some good pictures of the revolver and it's age (s/n can determine that) would help in diagnosing what might be happening. I would like to see a good sharp picture from the front of the gun with the cylinder closed to see what the gap looks like where the crane meets the frame. A bent extractor rod could mean that it was damaged or abused and if it was and the crane and frame don't meet correctly then the cylinder won't be aligned correctly with the rear of the barrel and you could get blow back from that.

After shooting, examine the rear of the barrel and the forcing cone to see if there is excessive build up of gunk, especially on the left side.

Parts are getting scarce but they can be found in different places. Let me know if you want any assistance from me.

Tancred

Bearcat
Here is a shot of the yoke and frame. It looks ok to me. I have ordered a new extractor rod. Hopefully, that fixes it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r63hmx2xyuqcfod/IMG_0390.JPG?dl=0

That looks good, nice and even gap all the way around.

Next, bring it into battery (cylinder locked into frame and cylinder locked in the cylinder notch) and use a light as best possible and look down the barrel to see if you see any of the cylinder. You should not see anything except a nice clear path from the muzzle to the recoil shield. If you have a .38/.357 range rod, insert it, it will tell you if there is any misalignment.

Then cock the hammer and pull the trigger and hold the trigger back and look at the barrel again to see if you see anything out of the ordinary. Also, while you have the trigger held back, grab the cylinder and try to rotate it to see if there is any play in the cylinder notch and the cylinder latch.

If you don't see/feel anything out of the ordinary, take it out and shoot some lead bullets (standard 158 gr round nose will work fine or whatever you have on hand). If you get the blow back, then open the cylinder and see if there is any evidence of lead shaving/building up on the rear of the barrel and on the left side of the forcing cone/barrel.