Anybody use Pachmyr grip on their Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Anybody here use Pachmyr rubber grip on their Blackhawk?
How do you like them? Do they help to reduce felt recoil with heavy load?
I'm thinking about getting one but would like to hear some first hand experience first.

choirboy

Bearcat
Full magnum loads in my .41 and .44 Ruger single actions cause me a lot of arthritic pain with standard grips. They allow the gun to squirm in my hand. The Pachmayr grip keeps my hand firmly in place and allows my arm to rise and dissipate the recoil. No pain. I'm not real fond of how they look so I only put them on when hunting. I hope this helps.
CB

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I use on several SBH and Blackhawk's. Not much to look at, but Pachmayr's absorb recoil and gives a bigger grip. I have Hogue's, too. Pachmayr's are on my SR1911, Security Sixes, they work and fit great!

Ron IL

Bearcat
I have a Hogue here on my desk and no gun to put it on. I traded it off last year. If you are interested in a Hogue send me your mailing info and I will send it to you. Mine was on a 357 stainless Blackhawk. It really helped my shooting. I could never get used to the grip on those so I got rid of it.

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
I have a 7.5" 44 mag SBH with Pachmayr Decelerator Gripper grips and a 6.5" 357 convertible with a steel SBH grip frame (and hammer), and the same Pachmayrs. Also put steel ejector rod housings on both, the Aluminum parts seemed chintzy and never matched the color of the blued steel. They do not look "authentic" with the Pachmayrs but they shoot much better, to me anyway. I had also milled off the front sight blade and machined a dovetail so I could install fiber optic sights, my eyes need all the help they can get nowadays. I am not as interested in the proper "look" as I am in better shooting. BTW, back around 1978 I had the 9mm cylinder reamed for the 357/44 Bain & Davis, I shoot it as much or more than the 357 mag cylinder.

contender

Ruger Guru
Different hands require different grips for many. While the traditional look of rubber baby bumpers (as Flatgate used to call them, :D ) is off putting to many,, for some folks they do work.
But that biggest thing I see is improper grip control during recoil by some shooters.
They physics of recoil with that frame design is naturally a muzzle rising first,, and sort of a roll in the hands. I had a guy I got into a LONG discussion with via PM's and he just could NOT accept this premise. He felt he HAD to control the gun & prevent the muzzle rise with a death grip & such. He was comparing a SA to a DA & how a SA in his hands was just not accurate or fun to shoot. Never did get him to understand it.

So,, while it works for some folks,, it may not work for others. Only can an individual decide if it works for them.

I used to share my didsdain for Pachmayr's on a SA revolver, and push my opinion that they are completely ridiculous.

I have mellowed. A feller can use any grips he wants, and it's his own business. He might learn that they're awful, or he may discover they're the perfect answer.

My experience long ago...I had Pachmayrs on my first Super Blackhawk. I was shooting it well and thought it was the answer, til I discovered the skin was gone off the palm of my shooting hand after a long shooting session.

So like so many other things, your mileage may vary.

Rclark

Hunter
they are completely ridiculous.
Well, they are! IMHO that is :) ... As above though, I try not to push my opinion on grip options as everyone has their own preferences. Like Wayno, I bought a Pachmayr grip for my first SBH too back in the 80s. Didn't work for me and went back to the wood. Never looked back.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
What I noticed on a .357 and a.45 BH was trigger guard hitting my middle finger knuckle. With the Presentations that doesn't happen. That's one reason I like the Brass frame, Super BH size. Larger grip size.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I have used both on a couple of Super Blackhawks in 44 magnum when hunting or hiking in grizzly country in Wyoming. I carry them in a chest holster with Buffalo Bore hard cast bear loads and they make the gun easier to grab when it's wet and they allow quicker follow-up shots if needed. When I get back home I switch back to the original grips.

Dan in MI

Staff member
contender said:
Different hands require different grips for many. While the traditional look of rubber baby bumpers (as Flatgate used to call them, :D ) is off putting to many,, for some folks they do work.
But that biggest thing I see is improper grip control during recoil by some shooters.
They physics of recoil with that frame design is naturally a muzzle rising first,, and sort of a roll in the hands. I had a guy I got into a LONG discussion with via PM's and he just could NOT accept this premise. He felt he HAD to control the gun & prevent the muzzle rise with a death grip & such. He was comparing a SA to a DA & how a SA in his hands was just not accurate or fun to shoot. Never did get him to understand it.

So,, while it works for some folks,, it may not work for others. Only can an individual decide if it works for them.

I am in the let the gun roll a bit category.

I bought a Pachmayer for my SBH many years ago. Installed it prior to a silhouette match. I couldn't get it off my gun fast enough. To me it hurt MORE than factory wood panels. I don't remember if it came off after the first 5 chickens, or at target change, but they never saw a shot at a pig that's for sure.

Ron IL said:
I have a Hogue here on my desk and no gun to put it on. I traded it off last year. If you are interested in a Hogue send me your mailing info and I will send it to you. Mine was on a 357 stainless Blackhawk. It really helped my shooting. I could never get used to the grip on those so I got rid of it.

I think it would be pretty hard for the OP to beat this deal on a trial basis!

Very generous, Ron.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
".... I had a guy I got into a LONG discussion with via PM's and he just could NOT accept this premise. He felt he HAD to control the gun & prevent the muzzle rise with a death grip & such. He was comparing a SA to a DA & how a SA in his hands was just not accurate or fun to shoot. Never did get him to understand it."
----contender

Tyrone.... I made it through championships with factory walnut on a brass grip-frame Super, likewise the S410 "Silhouette Super." Pachmayr grips adorned the vast majority of Ruger Super Blackhawks on the firing lines of IHMSA silhouette. I finally switched over.

A Ruger single action equipped with Pachmayr----or other grip which fills between trigger guard and frontstrap----might change the attitude of the "death grip" character you tried to straighten out. The chance is just about nil that anyone ever won a silhouette championship with a death grip. We've covered this subject many times.... reckon we'll continue. I have never seen MUSCLE TREMOR as a blueprint for sharpshooting.
David Bradshaw

contender

Ruger Guru
David,,, I do understand the correct use of Pachmayr grips in the hands of a good shooter. As I said,, they do work for some folks,, as you need to get a good fit of gun & grips & hands. The guy I was discussing things with was used to the grip shape of a DA,, and the different physics of recoil with those. He insisted that he had to hold the sights on the target & that the gun should not snap upward when recoiling. He was very against the design of the SA grip shape. He made several comments about trying to hold the gun "down" and felt the roll was a bad design.

You are so right about the long time discussions of a death grip & how some folks do not understand the physics of recoil. Facts seem to seem to be ignored by some folks.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Thank you all for your replies.
I normally shoot warm 357 magnum loads (180gr @ 1,250 fps) out of my 357magnum Flattop Blackhawk (all steel) with the factory grip with no problem. I normally shoot 50 rounds of this load in an afternoon with no pain.
I recently started shooting warm 45 Colt loads in my NM Blackhawk and as the load got up to 270gr @ 1,150 fps the middle finger was getting slammed by the trigger guard. My goal is to reach 1,250 fps with this load so I expect the finger will get worse. I want to try a grip with material behind the trigger guard to save the middle finger.
I think I'll take up on the offer above for the Hogue grip as it seems to have material in the right place to protect my finger.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
1ruger said:
I normally shoot warm 357 magnum loads (180gr @ 1,250 fps) out of my 357magnum Flattop Blackhawk (all steel) with the factory grip with no problem. I normally shoot 50 rounds of this load in an afternoon with no pain.
I recently started shooting warm 45 Colt loads in my NM Blackhawk and as the load got up to 270gr @ 1,150 fps the middle finger was getting slammed by the trigger guard. My goal is to reach 1,250 fps with this load so I expect the finger will get worse. I want to try a grip with material behind the trigger guard to save the middle finger.
I think I'll take up on the offer above for the Hogue grip as it seems to have material in the right place to protect my finger.

1ruger.... you have discovered the compounding effect of velocity on recoil in a revolver. Light loads, grip hardly matters.Heavy loads, grip beaucoup important.

I get along fine with Pachmayr. The Hogue is too bulky, has finger grooves, a palm swell, and is made of some sort of hollow plastic----all fierce negatives in my book (compounded by ugly).
David Bradshaw

1ruger

Single-Sixer
David Bradshaw said:
1ruger said:

1ruger.... you have discovered the compounding effect of velocity on recoil in a revolver. Light loads, grip hardly matters.Heavy loads, grip beaucoup important.

I get along fine with Pachmayr. The Hogue is too bulky, has finger grooves, a palm swell, and is made of some sort of hollow plastic----all fierce negatives in my book (compounded by ugly).
David Bradshaw

Also having thick sausage fingers doesn't help.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
"Presentations" are the Pachmayr's I like on Blackhawks. I put "Presentations " on my first Ruger. Security Six, in place of small wooden panels. Then Pachmayr's on my SR 1911. "Americans". The upper end 1911's have the checkered front grip. This Ruger wanted to slip under stiff loads. I agree rubber grips are not attractive.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have a Pachmyer on my Super Blackhawk. While I really like my Blackhawks, for some reason, I didn't do well with the Super with the standard grips. I think it was the square trigger guard that crunched my finger.

Someone here (Chief, I believe it was) offered up a set of used ones to try and sent them to me. He told me if I liked them, he'd take whatever I thought was a fair price. We settled on a price and I sent a check. I liked them because they filled the space behind the square guard and prevented the crunch...

They make the gun ugly as Hades, but since it's a hunting gun with a scope on it (another Flatgate blasphemy), it's already "cosmetically challenged". I figure it's like the A-10, an ugly beast, but a heck of a weapons platform...

I kept the original grips if I ever want to return it to its former glory.

Aqualung