SBH 10.5 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
A couple of months ago LGS had a 10.5 SBH, the gun is in nice shape for the age, 83-509xx=1980, and that it has been hunted with and shot some. To be honest it is the first 10.5 SBH 44 mag I've seen in these parts. I bought the gun for a project maybe, and it is a bit cumbersome to tote around, but after shooting it with factory and some of my handloads this one is a shooter. I took the factory panels off and had a set Hogue Monogrip's to replace them and made a much easier on my ol hands and fingers. Just wondering about any comments or thoughts on these long barreled pistols, different calibers, ect. Thanks,

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
wvjoetc said:
A couple of months ago LGS had a 10.5 SBH, the gun is in nice shape for the age, 83-509xx=1980, and that it has been hunted with and shot some. To be honest it is the first 10.5 SBH 44 mag I've seen in these parts. I bought the gun for a project maybe, and it is a bit cumbersome to tote around, but after shooting it with factory and some of my handloads this one is a shooter. I took the factory panels off and had a set Hogue Monogrip's to replace them and made a much easier on my ol hands and fingers. Just wondering about any comments or thoughts on these long barreled pistols, different calibers, ect. Thanks,

S410N Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, introduced in 1979, made specifically to comply with IHMSA Production rule. Made in Southport CT, as were all single actions until tooling moved to Newport NH in 1992. Barrels supplied by George Wilson Company in Connecticut, broach rifled 1:20". This gun turned revolver competition on its head, and closed the chapter of fierce competition between S&W M-29 and Ruger Super Blackhawk. A proper S410N is capable of 5x5 groups under 6-inches @ 220 yards----thoroughly proven with iron sights. Translates to 5x5 shots in less than 0.7" @ 25 yards.

Personally, I wouldn't be in any hurry to cut it. Shoot it a while and decide for yourself.
David Bradshaw

wvjoetc

Single-Sixer
David thank you for the informative information, that is very helpful. I must also admit that I have a copy of Gun Digest Book of Ruger Revolvers Copyright 2013, that I have only thumbed through. I started reading last night and was surprised to see you have had a very important part in the information contained within. So accept my apology for not making the connection, and am grateful for you sharing your knowledge with us here on the Ruger Forum. To our members if you do not have a copy of this book pick up a copy it is a wealth of information.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a Guns and Ammo magazine from March 1981 that has a blue 10.5" on cover. Calls it "Long Tom". Beautiful Super Blackhawk! Written by Art Blatt

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
One of my favorite Ruger 44 Magnums!! :D

Bill

orig.jpg