RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poor Mans Trigger Job
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:32 am 
Bearcat

What if any are the drawbacks to the so called poor mans trigger job ie, unhooking one side of trigger spring.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:38 am 
Hawkeye

I cannot say there are or are not very long range problems, however I have been shooting that way with my Single Six for years with no problems.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.
"Do or do not; there is no try." (Yoda)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:49 am 
Single-Sixer

A 20 oz trigger return spring is cheap and easy to install.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:51 am 
Ruger Guru

Often,, many folks never have any issues. However,, I have been able to purchase 2 Rugers that the owners were willing to sell cheaply because the action "hung up" occasionally. Both were due to unhooked & bent trigger return springs. One was a nice 357 Maxi,, for $275.00, in the box. When taken apart,, the leg that was off the post,,was hanging up in the mainspring.

If a lighter or better action is desired,, a good action job is MUCH better than a poor man's trigger job IN MY OPINION. And,, it's not super expensive to have a qualified gunsmith to do one. Heck,, just a gentle cleaning of mating surfaces in an action to smooth up any rough spots will make a big difference. Than you can add a Wolff spring for the return spring & it too can help.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:06 am 
Hunter

I think you'd be better served with a reduced power spring or just bend the legs a wee bit. The return spring doesn't have as much to do with trigger pull as sear engagement and hammer spring weight anyway, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 am 
Hawkeye

Un-hooking one leg puts undo side forces on the parts. If you slightly bend both legs you keep the forces evenly distributed.
Detailed how-to article.
http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqXSBe- ... 325701CE9C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:15 pm 
Blackhawk

To the OP:
I assume you are referring to the "Poor Boy's Trigger Job", as appearing on the Gunblast website. Is that correct? If so, did you do the first step of the process, namely burnishing the sear without disassembly? What you described here was the second step of the total process, which unfortunately leaves a loose spring leg which could just get caught in the hammer mainspring.
I am currently working on the first step, and when that's done I will do what s4s4u suggests.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:05 am 
Hawkeye

My poor man’s trigger job is to dry fire at the bad guys while sitting in front of the TV. Then lubricating when I go to the range. Works for me!
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:43 pm 
Hawkeye

Here's a " skilled boys action job" and pretty thorough for reference:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/diy-sli ... le-action/

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:25 pm 
Single-Sixer

https://www.triggershims.com

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:31 am 
Single-Sixer

Hondo44 wrote:
Here's a " skilled boys action job" and pretty thorough for reference:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/diy-sli ... le-action/

Quoted in lieu of a like.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:33 pm 
Single-Sixer

The other half of the 'poor man's trigger job' that you have missed consists of cocking the hammer and putting forward pressure on the hammer as you squeeze the trigger. I rubs the hammer hooks and sear together to wear down any rough spots. Three or four times usually produces the desired result. My newer flattop now has a 2 1/2 pound trigger with no perceptible creep and with the factory springs.
I don't put much stock in reduced power springs for a single action. Remember, when you pull the trigger on a single action revolver the hammer is already cocked and the trigger will barely move. Plus, a lighter mainspring will increase lock time. Not good for accuracy.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:59 pm 
Hunter

I've lifted one leg off on most all of my Rugers at one time or another. Worked fine for me and doesn't hurt anything... But definitely helps the trigger pull (might feel a bit more creep). I never purposely sit and 'dry fire' either. Still old school on that practice.

Of course after a proper trigger job, both legs of the trigger spring are back on. I don't mind a little lighter mainspring either. As long as all the rounds go bang, your golden. If you see light primer strikes, use a heavier spring (I have a bunch sitting around). As for longer lock time, my targets don't seem to notice. Not rocket science. The final analysis is 'reliability' and that the person is satisfied with the results. All else is just opinion :) .

Quote:
My newer flattop now has a 2 1/2 pound trigger with no perceptible creep
You are lucky. Every one of my Rugers varied from 4# to 6# from the factory (using a spring gauge). Creep was always present too. When I have mine tuned, I like 2# to 2 1/2#.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:13 pm 
Blackhawk

You might want to checkout https://www.midwayusa.com/product/615772/the-ruger-single-action-revolvers-a-shop-manual-volumes-1-and-2-by-jerry-kuhnhausen. And the http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15595 thread!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 am 
Single-Sixer

Rclark wrote:
I've lifted one leg off on most all of my Rugers at one time or another. Worked fine for me and doesn't hurt anything... But definitely helps the trigger pull (might feel a bit more creep.

I’ve done it as well with no problems. But mine aren’t self defense guns or used to hunt dangerous game. I just shoot paper, cans, and a few non man eating animals. It’s not a big deal if something would cause a minor mechanical issue.