Blackhawk grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
....???

Are you looking for somebody to do a restoration?

-OR-

Inquiring about others that re-do, restore, techniques, etc.

I'm thinking most just tackle this job themselves, I know I do.
I like to buy older Lett grips fit them to a specific frame , re paint the medallions, change out the later silver screw/escutcheons to blued when used on a blue gun.

As for refinish, I like to strip them using lacquer thinner generously and then refinish with a darker walnut Watco dainish oil & some minwax black, sanding in the first heavy thick coat, let it sit over night rub it out and then a couple of "wipe" finish coats, then a few weeks of dry time. This method produces a nice oiled look.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not particularly handy at this sort of thing. I picked up a '91 mfg BH in .357 that is really clean. The grips have nice figure but look kinda oil soaked. So I'm looking to have them done if it's not too pricey. Thanks for replying-Dave

grobin

Blackhawk
I don't know what the going rate is generally. Around here I would expect $150 to $250 depending on the finish desired. In any case you will need to remove the grips.

I would go to woodnet.net and post in the finishing forum to ask what to do and if anyone would be interested in the work. Posting a picture will help as will describing what you want exactly.

Hope this helps.

hittman

Staff member
I'd think about just buying a new set.
Seems like you're trying to salvage a pretty common item. New Model grips are plentiful and relatively cheap and unless I'm mistaken .... nothing rare.

Dave,
Congrats on aquiring an older .357 Ruger Blackhawk! It is one of the best single action revolvers ever made.
I agree with hittman, you can find some nice ones here in the classifieds. You might even sell yours here and use the money to find some grips that are in very good shape.

Regards,
Mike

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Lett grips are solid wood, of the species specified. Current grips are laminated birch, stained/dyed to specified color, i.e. rosewood, walnut, etc. And all have that pesky medallion.

Lett did furnish (make that sell.) aftermarket grips of very high quality, and without the medallion.

Here a pair of Lett's fancy walnut grips:

Refinishing a pair of grips is not too difficult, but does require patience. Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil is unsurpassed for finishing.

Bob Wright