Ruger SA grip heel digs palm of hand

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
I have small hands, but heel of SA grips dig into heel of my hand. Am I using a bad hold on them? Tried moving hand higher, but that don't seem to be a natural hold. Big bores I have are bisleys, but looking real hard at a large frame 45 colt with standard grip. Do the large frame have bigger grip than medium frame? Triker

contender

Ruger Guru
The grip frames are the same on both main frame sized guns.

I'd suggest a possibility of looking onto a set of custom wood grips for the "plow handle" style.

Or,, maybe try a Super Blackhawk g/f as it's a longer g/f. That may put the heel of the grip out of the heel of your hand.

Another suggestion is to maybe talk to an instructor to see if there is a hands on instruction you can get from them to improve your skill? You may need only that.

There are so many variables on how/why the heel of a grip might bite your hand.

I have a large hand with proportionately short fingers. It's difficult to get all my fingers where they belong on a SA revolver without the trigger guard battering my middle finger. So, I lower my hand on the grip, curling my pinky under the grip. That causes the heel to dig into my hand a little bit. A little rounding of the gripframe cures this for me. Also, it softens the sharp heel from poking your elbow while carrying in a strong side holster.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is interesting, since I'm always uncertain what people mean when they say "large" or "small" hands. At full spread, the distance from the tip of my pinky finger to the tip of my thumb is 9.5". So is that big or small? There's other measurements of course, but this seemed as good a place to start as any. :) I wear a size Large in flt gloves, but the finger pockets are a little shallow.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
This is interesting, since I'm always uncertain what people mean when they say "large" or "small" hands. At full spread, the distance from the tip of my pinky finger to the tip of my thumb is 9.5". So is that big or small? There's other measurements of course, but this seemed as good a place to start as any. :) I wear a size Large in flt gloves, but the finger pockets are a little shallow.

Yes, size is relative. I wear a xxl or xxxl size glove. So are you a midget or am I an Orangutan? :)

I have the same spread as you but where I have trouble with gloves is the web between my thumb and forefinger. It's a wonder grip makers don't jump off a bridge.

This is why I shoot Bisleys.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
GunnyGene said:

Just measured mine after reading your post: 8 1/2". But not only size, but proportion, i.e. short, stubby fingers, or long slender; fat hands or thin.

My hands are small for a man's hand, but average proportion.

And they fit the Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk grip profiles very well. And have a strong dislike for the Bisley grip, from experience.

Bob Wright

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rkrcpa said:
GunnyGene said:

It's a wonder grip makers don't jump off a bridge.

This is why I shoot Bisleys.

And is why I prefer to buy firearms with wood furniture (easily carved to fit me), or in the case of handguns, make my own to replace whatever plastic/rubber they came with if possible. :)

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Install Pachmayr's to shoot. I like the Super BH frame. One reason I like the brass grip frames. I am more accurate with the larger grip frame. And try Hogue's.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I don't know if this pertains to your problem or not, but i did not like the factory grips on my single-six, i traded them for Eagle gunfighter grips, which were slimmer and felt perfect. I don't recall the factory ones digging into my hands, though, so your problem may be different.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Another cure is shooting gloves. I wear leather, motorcycle riding gloves to shoot. These have a padded palm, just right with big bore recoil!

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Either a golf glove or a set of Herrets for me. Or both. And yes, the factory grips dig into the heel of my hand. But the glove makes that okay.