Gp-100 41 special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Bought a new Davidson's 6" ss unfluted cylinder gp-100 and directly sent it to David Clements to covert to 41 special. Gun just came back and it's beautiful! Gotta reload for it ,but time is tough as my wife just brought home a rescue dog. Slab side the barrel , new front sight, Bowen rear and a action - trigger job. Got all the fixings but this pupper requires all my free time , maybe hit the reloading bench in the wee hours tonight!

32shooter

Blackhawk
Sounds like a nice one, let us know how it shoots when you get around to it. Oh, and pictures - we need pictures.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Why not .41 Mag? That would seem to fit the required SAAMI criteria, and you could shoot your .41 Sp thru it.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Cylinder is too short and probably wouldn't have enough meat between chambers.
When Clements did a 41 Spec GP for me he said to limit loads to 1200 f/s with 220-230gr lead bullets.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Sugar River said:
Cylinder is too short and probably wouldn't have enough meat between chambers.
When Clements did a 41 Spec GP for me he said to limit loads to 1200 f/s with 220-230gr lead bullets.

Both .357 and .41 magnums share 1.290" max case length and 1.590" max overall length, so cylinder should not be an issue. The fact that they have already squeezed 7 shots of .357 mag into that cylinder, probably makes it fine for a 5-6 shot .41 mag all day too...........
8)

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Here are the pictures of foxtrapper's 41Spcl...
gH6iM3v.jpg

C4RGEJn.jpg

Dhe6Coo.jpg

zkWCRKy.jpg

5TkSpii.jpg

Thel

Blackhawk
A 5 shot .41 magnum is possible as there is an outfit (Dave Reeder) down in Arizona that offers this conversion with a new cylinder along with several other caliber conversions.

https://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/skorpion.htm

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Stump Buster said:
Here are the pictures of foxtrapper's 41Spcl...

zkWCRKy.jpg

That forcing cone looks plenty strong and although the cylinder wall thickness looks good I can see where the factory would disagree. That's why I think a five shot would be the way to go. Even with the short cylinder a Keith bullet in 41spl brass will fit and still provide plenty of power.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'd be all over a .41Spl GP! No interest in the .41Mag out of such a light platform but would probably buy one anyway. ;)

rangerbob

Buckeye
Foxtrapper, what was the turnaround time on the project, if you don't mind telling. I want a Match Champion in 41 Special. I already have 1000 rounds of loaded ammo on the shelf.Bob! 8)

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
Foxtrapper, what was the turnaround time on the project, if you don't mind telling. I want a Match Champion in 41 Special. I already have 1000 rounds of loaded ammo on the shelf.Bob! 8)
Almost 14 months , took a little longer then David expected as he was wrestling with the bearcat 327 conversions that took up a lot of his time.

dixie884

Blackhawk
The 686 he did for me is great. That's why I had the first run of Star-Line .41spl brass made. I kept the head stamp simple. I think that had a lot to do with them deciding to make it a regular offering. JMHO-YMMV...........