Question For "Hondo"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Hondo, the current version of the Ruger Blackhawk with 4 ¾ barrel in .45 Colt, is the grip frame steel? Along with the "ejector housing", or are they still aluminum?
I may have a project going for a customer of mine.

Thanks in advance----

Dennis

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm not Hondo but the grip frame is aluminum, ejector housing is steel. Unless it's a mid-frame flat-top, then it's all steel.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
Dennis,

I agree with Craig. I have the same understanding including the ejector housing.

Tell us about your project idea. Parts are pretty easy to swap around.

Well, I want to build a personal Blackhawk in .45 Colt, don't need a .45 ACP cylinder. I definitely want to work with the 4 5/8 barrel. Hard cast .451/452 Keith style semi-wad cutters using 12% antimony cast bullets. Probably be blasphemous to use a three screw.
Thanks for the notice that the ejector rod housing is steel. Only aluminum I prefer involves a COOR's can. I'm thinking that the Super Blackhawk grip frame as provided on the .44 magnum will work, but I do like the round T-guard. I wouldn't mind stainless steel as that can be "black chromed" to look really good.
As of now, I have grandiose visions of Turnbull color case for the receiver and carbona bluing, for all else, and with real ivory grips. I have had some nightmares concerning a front sight, with a better visible insert and have done a bunch of those for other Blackhawks and Single Sixes over the years. My eyeballs don't do black on black so well these days.
While my visions and expectations are certainly limited, I'd sure like to read about other possibilities. I feel confident enough, and experienced, to do what I need for a safe trigger pull weight, but I'm sure as hell not immune to suggestions.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
I'm not Hondo but the grip frame is aluminum, ejector housing is steel. Unless it's a mid-frame flat-top, then it's all steel.

OK, so the "flat tops" non-eared grip frames, for the rear sight assembly, the grip frames are aluminum? But now, the **NEW"" series grip frames with the ears for the rear sight are steel?
C'mon.............don't confuse the 'ol guy.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The original flat-tops (1955-1962) had an aluminum grip frame and steel ejector with a steel Micro rear sight.

The New Model flat-tops (2005-present) are ALL steel. There are medium and large frame flat-tops but to date, the .45's have only been built on the medium frame. So if you want an all steel gun safe for .45Colt loads up to 21,000psi, you might want to go that route instead.

If you want to run "Ruger only" loads up to 32,000psi, then the standard Blackhawk is still a large frame and safe for those loads. There are chromoly steel grip frames available for those as well.

You can even source a steel XR3 grip frame from one of the new flat-tops or New Vaqueros and go that route as well. As I did on this current production .41Mag Blackhawk and the grip frame from my 50th anniversary .44Mag Blackhawk.

Ruger%20.41Mag%2001.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dennis,

Craig cleared it up very well.

Some thoughts on your project:

1. If you prefer the 3 screw OM 45 large frame I won't complain. Especially if it has wear, you'll likely reblue it anyway I suspect. And if your only planning 2,000 PSI loads the OM mid-frame is easily converted to 45. NM and OM 45 barrels interchange if you don't want to go with a custom barrel.

2. I have the same problem with black sight on black target, or in the dark woods. I like a gold or stainless insert in the front sight, but not a bead, a square insert so what you see in the rear notch is all gold or stainless. And not polished that would reflect the sun in your eye. But something like a 240 grit finish or serrated like the front sight blade is now (50 LPI) to match the Ruger serrations.

3. Stainless grip frames can be blued and I can recommend a couple of places that I used like for the SBH Hunter SS grip frame with round guard if you like the SBH size. Otherwise I recommend the SBH steel grip frame used on the 5 1/2" and shorter SBHs, the XR3-RED SIZE. All Ruger grip frames interchange as far as the screw pattern. And the NM grip frames are easily adaptable to OM main frames; actually it's just the trigger return spring.

The NM flattop grip frames are steel but are the oldest Ruger the small XR3 SIZE, the 'Colt size', and I like them best but not on my 45 for level 2 and "Ruger only" level 3 loads.

Grip frame sizes:
F-gripsquare3.jpg

A 45 Vaquero I built with SBH hunter SS GF and hammer, 5 1/2" barrel with long ejector housing:

medium800.jpg

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
That's a very nice lookin' Ruger. I'd like to go with adjustable sights though. I have been installing these front sight inserts for around 30 years. The difference involves the rear face of the insert being striated to prevent any glare. So, with a white-outline blade the front sight 'pops' real well, even in a dimly lighted indoor range. Nothing like the Smith & Wesson flat face inserts.

OCnNpCel.jpg

Wouldn't mind at all beginning with a 3-screw frame, and all your insight has helped me with my quest, thanks.