Current 2 digit Vaqueros

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tacotime

Single-Sixer
So... those recent TALO edition Vaqueros in 44 Magnum with the 2 digit serial prefix numbers... are these built on the older, larger Old Vaquero frame then?

I had read that there were no 44 Magnum New Vaqueros because of the smaller, weaker new frames (and so I assume then, no 3 digit 44 Magnums Vaqueros).

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with Brewster, it's the large frame same size as the old Vaq.

But they're not the old Vaq frame, they have the New Model "Reverse Indexing Pawl System". This allows the cyl to roll backwards enough and stop for the chambers to align to the loading gate trough without the hammer on half cock (which can't be done on standard new models). You can see the device (3 parts) in the hammer channel to the lower left of the cyl pin hole.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
OK, hmmm... would the current 2 digit Vaqueros then be considered the "strong" guns that were approved for the heavier "TC and Ruger Only" loads shown in some manuals?

I suppose that would have to be a "yes" to be a 44 Mag gun in any case. I was really wondering about the heavier 45LC loads, but I guess there are no current 2 digit 45LC guns being made...

Rclark

Hunter
ut I guess there are no current 2 digit 45LC guns being made...
There are no current large frame .45 Colt Vaqueros being made. However, the large frame .45 Colt BHs are still cataloged.... So yes, there are 2 digit .45 Colt guns being made.

he smaller, weaker new frames
Not weaker ... just smaller. The frame isn't the problem... The cylinder is smaller, therefore it can't take the .45 Colt Ruger Only Loads (Tier 3), but can take Tier 2 loads (up to 23K psi). Tier 1 is of course SAAMI .45 Colt loads.

tacotime

Single-Sixer
My manuals only show the standard loads and the Ruger and T/C loads. Are there some published Tier 2 loads somewhere?

tacotime

Single-Sixer
Has anyone ever seen a PSI load maximum given by Ruger for the New Vaquero in any caliber?

Sugar River

Buckeye
Since the mid frame 45 is available in convertible guise it seems logical that it can withstand 45 acp +P pressures.
This is where the approx. 23k comes from.

Brian Pierce has published tier 2 loads (along with tier 1 and 3) in Handloader.

I was recently reading an article by John Taffin, on Ruger Single Action guns. One of the topics he covered were the large frame Vaquero's and when the CAS came to them wanting a colt size cowboy gun. Taffin said after building over 700,000 Vaqueros they changed over. I had no idea the number of those guns Ruger had made. And to think there are a number of them are are more difficult to find. I sure like the few I have.